all hardware setup

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:i can see why people cant connect the whole techno thing with modular, when in reality its the perfect tool for the job.
give it time i suppose.
yeah I agree. Its completely not true that modular is only for experimental music and forms. It's completely techno to the core.

The techno done with modular is gonna be unknowingly listened to. Plastikman had some Serge panels in his most recent live set up. Villalobos is well known to use Eurorack. Petre Inspirescu is using a Buchla, I read. One of the current Eurorack designers is a big techno/house fan and in fact has often posted on this forum (Intellijel)
green empire
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by green empire »

http://vimeo.com/902069
CHARLES COHEN AT THE BUCHLA MUSIC EASEL
siddhu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by siddhu »

Go hardware! We started out purely with softsynths and as we started buying hardware there was no going back! All our tunes are now done with the Machinedrum, Monomachine, and a Spectralis.

It's sooo much more fun than software.

Personally, I would not consider Maschine "hardware" as you need a computer to run the it. It's not possible to hang on your couch with a vodka tonic banging away on it like you can on a Machinedrum or Spectralis.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

siddhu wrote:Go hardware! We started out purely with softsynths and as we started buying hardware there was no going back! All our tunes are now done with the Machinedrum, Monomachine, and a Spectralis.

Personally, I would not consider Maschine "hardware" as you need a computer to run the it. It's not possible to hang on your couch with a vodka tonic banging away on it like you can on a Machinedrum or Spectralis.
How do you find the Spectralis? I was looking at that as a potential purchase but decided against it in the end. I haven't found that many user reviews yet. I kinda got the impression is what a litle too expensive for what it does, I willing to accept I might be wrong on that one though.
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

siddhu wrote:Personally, I would not consider Maschine "hardware" as you need a computer to run the it. It's not possible to hang on your couch with a vodka tonic banging away on it like you can on a Machinedrum or Spectralis.
Yes it is, I do it all the time, though with a glass of white wine instead of vodka. In fact Ive used my maschine while lying in bed :) Maschine is a great halfway house between hard and software. An elegant solution and also extremely good value for the features offered.

I used to own a machinedrum a couple of years ago which I'll agree is a great bit of kit but eventually sold it (after sampling the hell out of it) as I didn't like having to use anything that required a hardware mixer when I went totally software and so found I wasn't using it as much.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

AK wrote:
siddhu wrote:Go hardware! We started out purely with softsynths and as we started buying hardware there was no going back! All our tunes are now done with the Machinedrum, Monomachine, and a Spectralis.

How do you find the Spectralis? I was looking at that as a potential purchase but decided against it in the end. I haven't found that many user reviews yet. I kinda got the impression is what a litle too expensive for what it does, I willing to accept I might be wrong on that one though.
I am very stuck in Elektron's way of thinking about sequencers, so take it with a grain of salt... but I personally found the Spectralis to be more difficult to sequence on than the MD or MnM. The sound of the Spectralis however, is second to none. It is such a lush and beautiful machine its unreal.

Sadly mine was an impulse buy that I had to get rid of before I got to enjoy it too much. I miss the thing and hope to get another one at some point.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Im still very tempted but I heard its not complete, i dunno how true that is?

Its also in voyager territory, certainly needs to be given some thought and for what purpose it will serve. Gear lust kicking in now, somebody buy my house so I can get new gear!
siddhu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by siddhu »

@AK

We tried out the Voyageur but for some reason at that time, we just did not vibe with it.

The Speckie is not nearly as user friendly and intuitive as the Elektron stuff, but it's a fookin' Godzilla of a beast. You just need to make it your life for a while to get the most out of it.

Think, the Speckie has got an analog filter bank that you can sequence, USB to your computer for sample loading and backup, a sequencer that can do more than the Elektron stuff, an analog voice, and digital voices, etc.

But the manual sucks, and you just have to commit to learning it. I do believe that you can write entire tracks just with the Speckie and they will sound as good or better than any other synths or drum machines.

We had real struggles with it at first but the sound was so amazing that we said we just have to make it work. Diana and I have only just scratched the surface of ours because 4 weeks after getting it, we had to breakdown our studio to move back to Paris. Then, we spent close to 4 months getting set up in Paris. So one of our goals is to go way deep into into the Speckie for 2011.