Quality of kick samples

- ask away
Quantize
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Quantize »

If you go down the kick layering route you mind fine this video useful. if you are an Ableton user there is a free rack to download also :-)

http://www.quantizecourses.com/pages.php/?cat=3
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

from what i can tell reading on various sites, people often misinterpret the low end punch of a dance track being all about the kick drum. just because there is a huge low pulse on the quarter notes doesn't mean its a kick drum. in fact i think the kicks take quite a secondary role these days in tracks, making more space for long open bass grooves which don't feel right if it's just bom bom bom bom all the time.

with that said, i also struggled with this for a bit, many times having kicks that sounded great alone but not maintaining the punch in the mix. i would always eq and make space for frequencies but still was never right for me.

after all it wasn't a matter of space of frequencies but actual spacial depth of the track that was limiting the amount of impact. it's tricky because in the real world its our ears that create that 3rd dimension of stereo where as in a recording we have to recreate this intentionally or it doesn't make sense

i also agree with steevio about samples, just not the same. not to say it cant sound good but i much prefer the mbase
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

also try ducking the kick with the bassline instead of vice versaa
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catchpenny »

i would obviously much prefer to have an 808 or a 909 but find the Goldbaby sample collections pretty good for me just now.
patrickmrd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by patrickmrd »

This is how i do it .i layer 3 different kicksamples in ableton drum rack,with different volume ,decays ,attack,,etc ,smash them trhu my emperical labs fatso,voilà to me it,'s a good way to make kicks
mystic rain drops sound manipulation