mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 4nerub »

Lolz, so im not the only one ... Gl guys
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Atheory wrote:stop being so crazy about tracks. just get on with it.

do u want to work on a track together if that would help?
Aprpeciate the idea and effort to suggest it mate. I'm on a progressive tip though atm - it just seems to fit my approach. Because of the reasons I gave in this thread, I can't seem to make techno I find satisfying.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Dusk wrote:
Atheory wrote:stop being so crazy about tracks. just get on with it.

do u want to work on a track together if that would help?
Aprpeciate the idea and effort to suggest it mate. I'm on a progressive tip though atm - it just seems to fit my approach. Because of the reasons I gave in this thread, I can't seem to make techno I find satisfying.
no problem. but maybe you should think about finding someone who you could work with (that makes similar sounds) cause you are probably throwing away lots of good stuff that maybe needs a fresh (less self critical?) mind to appreciate. i'm not really one to talk about finishing tracks or anything but it can be good to not go it alone so much. it might be good to find something that works for you.

that said, i don't know your personal situation and you may have people who are always asking to hear bits and pieces you are working on, so i suppose support can come in different ways. but maybe posting on the forum is kinda like your reaching out a little.

is this all too much?
Broken
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Broken »

On the bright side, it sounds due to the repetitive nature of your problem, that rather than being a lack of inspiration your problem is actually a knowledge gap,

and a gap in your knowledge can always be filled and got past, working with someone or working on your own you can slowly learn the set of skills needed to move your composition past a loop.....so yeah its nothing terminal don't panic!!
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by codecks »

pizzamon wrote:...."Learn every thing you can about music, and how to do it right; and when you ready..throw it all out the window."
Haha, I love this one :-) It summarizes it all pretty well I think. I guess it's all about a good balance between on the fly creation and the good use of skills. Too much of one or another and it gets messy or boring.
minimal my ass !
AnalogueDuke1
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by AnalogueDuke1 »

I can really relate to this poster, I think, personally I feel like I have to craft every sound to sonic perfection, perhaps getting distracted in the process. I think what others have said were good. Needing to get on and not fear the worst. I had someone say to me, 'the great is the enemy of the good'. So true and I never nearly heed the advice enough. I suppose with modern DAW, there is so much scope, you also feel a little unsure that what your doing is utilizing the open possibilities correctly.

I think as well maybe others will agree, there is a time for learning. And then time for doing. I think if I separated these two more, i would go further. :)
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

I went thru this for years.

The 2 things I did:

1) Stopped comparing myself to other music.

2) Bought some hardware and started recording live takes, with the goal of getting down to 1 live take per track and moving on. It worked wonders and some of my released music was recorded in 1 take.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban