- open
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

building a dub/minimal/leftfield room in a 5000 sqft loft

Post by 5meohd »

yeah. I want to do that ^

what are your suggestions?

I don't like drunks.. I want it to be a serene sanctuary where intelligent people can comfortably dance to crystal clear electronica.. alcohol makes us forget about others space/comfort, at least in the middle of america it does.

I'm curious about ideas for generating money.. considering I can only have 2-300 people.. can't count on alcohol sales, and I want to bring out 2 good acts (3-5000 to get them here) every other month..

I'm curious about what the pro dj's/live acts would desire in the ultimate sound booth design..

thanks!!

edit: we've decided here and on another board that alcohol is required. so now I'm interested in your opinions on the equipment you'd want available.. as well as lounging structure (couches, tables) size of bar etc..

I've got my own designs/ideas but I was way off on the alcohol thing so who knows...
Last edited by 5meohd on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

this is probably the most ridiculous concept for a club i've ever heard.

no alcohol = no people
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

really?

hmmm..

you do realize I'm in the midwest of USA and it is a HUGE hurtle to get liquor licensing and the insurance on a space sky rockets once you have people drinking right?

I assume you are correct... however it still makes me sad.

so to you electronic music = club?

thats interesting...
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

you have to have at least some sexy cocktails or something. Or you could just market to alcoholics anonymous who would be more than happy to go clubbing without feeling tempted by alcohol. Or of course you could market to some Mormons or fundamentalist Christians or other fundamentalist faith based organizations or cults that don't drink any alcohol at all.
motf_118
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by motf_118 »

this is a terrible idea...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

New Guy wrote:you have to have at least some sexy cocktails or something. Or you could just market to alcoholics anonymous who would be more than happy to go clubbing without feeling tempted by alcohol. Or of course you could market to some Mormons or fundamentalist Christians or other fundamentalist faith based organizations or cults that don't drink any alcohol at all.
haha, some good ideas there :lol:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

no alcohol could work.

most nights i personally would be much happier if they sold coffee or tea than beer. but the other guys are right, most people want alcohol at a night.

I think there is room to make a really interesting club envrionment that isn't the typical club. Maybe with good music and a comfortable and unique setting you could attract people.

I dunno how much of an obstacle it is to get a license though. You are restricting yourself audience wise, without alcohol. But I think if you build something nice and you know the kind of the thing you want to do, and with the right community you could build something great.

[I know lots of people who use alcohol but aren't annoying drunks. I don't use alcohol very much but im a pretty annoying drunk when i do]
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

thanks for all the responses.. especially the ones who disagree.

although oblio has hit the nail on the head. I was intending on doing something different. I mean there are several decent clubs in town... things seem to be going good for them. I'm not looking to compete with them.. or replicate.. or most of all FOLLOW.

I'm looking to do something LEFT OF FIELD.... the music would ALWAYS be this way as well. In fact one of my prime goals was to make such a unique space that the headliners that come to town eventually start coming by for after parties to do things like: exclusive DJ sets of the stuff THEY LISTEN TO, side projects that are more abstract, exclusive ambient sets, etc...

So you really think I NEED alcohol? Well... I guess I agree. :(

I'm just tired of the loss of respect we all have after _____ drinks.

wouldn't it be cool to have a place like that? where you don't have to worry about fighting the vultures off your girlfriend... spending the next two hours dancing covered in beer... fighting your way through an annoying conversation with someone you don't even know thats spitting all over you trying to tell you about things you already know more about...

or is that really synonymous with "techno".

the idea was to have a big beautiful bar that served hand made organic teas, cakes and smoothies........ I SERIOUSLY wish THAT would be cool to more people... in fact.. its rather sad that its not.

oh well.. I guess I'll just serve locally brewed beer. at least that way I feel I'm supporting some sort of passion.

any other constructive ideas would be appreciated!