Should I buy the analog turntable Technics SL 1200/1210?

- open
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

the whole matter is very hazy at the moment...

under most countries copyright laws, if you sell on an mp3 but you also keep a copy for yourself, then that could be considered illegal, as you're profiteering from copyright protected works that you don't have permission to sell....

with CDs and other physical items, people have their first sale rights in the US, whereby the owner of the work has no control over the re-sale of their works by the first time purchaser...

this is where it gets hazy with MP3s and other digital media... as if you did sell an mp3 do you have the right to exercise your first sale rights if you cease to own your own copy of the mp3? or do you instantly infringe copyright...

currently i don't think this has been tested in a court of law... so no one really knows where owners and copyright holders stand... the general leaning tends to be towards copyright infringement...

in europe, there's still loads of confusion as well over digital works... and there probably will be for some time as most copyright laws have not changed since the start of the digital age...

interestingly, this site bopaboo had a crack at creating a 2nd hand mp3 market... but looks like it got shut down, or didn't quite catch on in the last year or so.. http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/bo ... -49300316/
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

If the seller of the mp3 deletes original or sells it on a hard drive with no other backups left, that sounds fair.

Back to the subject of decks, does anyone prefer another brand over Technics?
From my experience, the Numark TT's, OEMs, and Vestax are ok for beat matching, but not for tricks. The controls didn't seem to be predictable, and I did not like the extra torque.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i heard the stanton 150 do pretty well, they cost the same as technics though :D
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't like how mp3 sound. i'm even considering other codecs for my netlabel. if only i could give free vinyl.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

I can't be bothered to read the obvious digital vs vinyl debate that probably fills most of the seven pages of this thread.
But I would like to note that there seems very little reason to use Traktor with vinyl control. Why go digital and then use an analog controlling device? - simply makes no sense.
So, @ OP, just get a behringer 3000 midi controllr or some such if you're gonna continue with Traktor (you'll save a packet). Or just go vinyl.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

clubfoot wrote:I can't be bothered to read the obvious digital vs vinyl debate that probably fills most of the seven pages of this thread.
But I would like to note that there seems very little reason to use Traktor with vinyl control. Why go digital and then use an analog controlling device? - simply makes no sense.
So, @ OP, just get a behringer 3000 midi controllr or some such if you're gonna continue with Traktor (you'll save a packet). Or just go vinyl.
you've just missed the entire debate of this thread... maybe you should go back and read all 7 pages...

he's bought the turntables already...

and the other 6 odd pages wasn't the usual vinyl vs digital... it was probably more philosophical about the meaning of value in te vinyl and digital contexts...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i wouldn't bother going back and reading the whole thread. chris sounded like a stuck record for about 4 pages. he made his point, i got it the first time, then he kept going on and on about how value is subjective.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

ChrisCV wrote:
clubfoot wrote:I can't be bothered to read the obvious digital vs vinyl debate that probably fills most of the seven pages of this thread.
you've just missed the entire debate of this thread... maybe you should go back and read all 7 pages...

he's bought the turntables already...

and the other 6 odd pages wasn't the usual vinyl vs digital... it was probably more philosophical about the meaning of value in te vinyl and digital contexts...
ah yes, i see - sorry for the prejudice. but even still - i think that the cheap midi controllers available today are more reliable than the timecode vinyl approach for djing. If you're gonna play digital files you might as well fully embrace the medium. And it's got to be WAV for playing out on a system. Just my opinion.. I love vinyl and technics decks too.