modular synthesis

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:steevio, dont mean to hijack the thread but you said something which made me curious. You said you tuned your oscillators a fifth apart. Could you elaborate on that as i wasnt sure in what context you meant.
well i dont always tune them a 5th apart, but at the moment thats what 'm working with as part of my system.

simple really, if my first VCO is tuned to C (33Hz) then my next VCO will be tuned to a perfect 5th G (49Hz) then the next D (73Hz) etc etc. upwards. (actually in reality my bass VCO will be tuned an octave + 5th below the others)

but this is just to space them out so that theres plenty of spread through the spectrum, and no doubled up frequencies.

again this is just a starting point, as each VCO is being sent a huge variety of voltages (notes) from the various combinations of sequences, they will rarely be banging out those root frequencies, but they will maintain distance between each other.
but as i said earlier, i also can easily apply offsets, which are voltages that add intervals to the root of the VCO, (like add a minor3rd, or 4th etc)
( this is like putting a capo on a guitar )

i suppose if you imagine each VCO is an instrument, (or part of an instrument) in a band or orchestra, you dont want them all playing around the same frequency range, each one has got its own space.
thats all it is really, i chose the perfect 5th interval, because its mathematically pure, so when i apply these different scales etc. there's always a relationship tying everything together, not matter how weird it gets, and its a good amount of interval space, but not enough to make big holes on the spectrum, and lose density.

i hope that makes sense bro.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

yeah it was the bit about the tuning i didnt get. Im not sure how it works with modular but is the note you tune an oscillator to, the lowest note that oscillator is then capable of producing? Obviously for like me, using 'normal' synths, the tuning thing doesnt come into it as they respond over a keyboard range and i just play/program the notes etc. Thats what i was tryind to understand, couldnt get the reasoning behind the tuning and thought it was something that might make modular very technical.
mo's taverne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mo's taverne »

thom wrote:A Nord G1 is finally back into my life!!!

My heart feels whole again.
yeah the g1 is a beast ! Love mine too :-)
...:.::.:::.:.....::....:...::...::.::::....::...:....

http://biloba.twoday.net/
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:yeah it was the bit about the tuning i didnt get. Im not sure how it works with modular but is the note you tune an oscillator to, the lowest note that oscillator is then capable of producing? Obviously for like me, using 'normal' synths, the tuning thing doesnt come into it as they respond over a keyboard range and i just play/program the notes etc. Thats what i was tryind to understand, couldnt get the reasoning behind the tuning and thought it was something that might make modular very technical.
no nothing technical, its just the lowest note its tuned to.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the schneidersladen showroom in london is a seriously valuable resource.

a lot of the information with modular is really hard to describe with words. spend an afternoon or something playing around with modules and things will make lots of sense.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK. I noticed you opted against the modular direction. Your decision of course. There's lots going on with modular right now, but it's not gonna go anywhere, so maybe if you feel like taking the plunge later. Maybe it's not for everyone, but in my opinion it is no different to prewired synths in terms of complexity.

As for me, I've brought my computer into the mix again. Digital technology is pretty capable, and I'm not a huge fan of some of the options with digital modules. The Z-dsp looks really interesting, but it's such a ridiculous pain in the arse to program it yourself, and for me that really is the exciting part of digital.

So I'm setting up a digital patch in my computer with MaxMSP to run alongside the modular. The communication is gonna be one way, owing to latency issues going in or out of the computer. The modular is gonna be the primary place to control everything, but I feel it needs a little bit of background stuff, musically speaking. Some light polyphonic things and reverb and maybe some little atmospheric glitches with granular sampling etc. And you can feed in stuff from the modular to set how it works, like envelope signals and other information.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

to the swedish people: Tekniska Muséet in Stockholm is going to put a Buchla modular system (no idea how big) up for display on Nov 6th!
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

This just came in today:

It's quite different from my other 2 filters (A-102 and A-106-1) which is good. After an hour or so of playing with it, I can see why Steevio rates it so highly. The filter is pretty much what you think an SSM style filter will sound like (which is badass). However, the FM input on this is where it really shines. My other filters have CV input, but they don't respond like this fucker. The guys at Tip Top really hit the nail on the head here.