How to pan?

- ask away
rcnt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How to pan?

Post by rcnt »

I'm wondering how do you guys pan techno tracks?

hi hats, snare, clap, bas, melody, hits, fx...ect

Thanks
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

everything hard left with the kick on the right.

seriously just use yours ears and do what sounds good. the only rule is kick and bass in the middle.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I would avoid panning anything hard right or left. When I first started to make music I remember panning something hard left (a synth part) and when I went to the club to hear it I could only hear that part from the left hand side of the club.
tristos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tristos »

Never pan hard..(unless required), use it as more of a tool to create space in the stereo field.

i always spend alot of time tweaking specific pans, especially on layered instruments such a snares etc to create range, depth, emphasis etc
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

think of it as an instruments on a stage. kick, snare and bass are centered.
you can pan the hi hats hard left and right, or 70 to each side, whatever sounds good.
just spread other instruments to different places.
pan one a bit to the right and similer one to the other side.
or send it to a reverb/delay that is panned to the other side to fill the frequencies.
go crazy as long as it sound good.
there are no rules.
satavarma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by satavarma »

I pan sounds out from the center only if there's some other sound playing in the other side of the stereo field at the same time, for example two different percussion patterns. Almost never hard left / right, usually something like 20-80%.

I have most tracks in the center but I make some of them wide using chorus, reverb, stereo frequency shifting, stereo unison detune etc. Sometimes stuff like this can mess with mono compatibility but I check my mix in mono many times during working so there's no nasty surprises when the track is finished.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

satavarma wrote:I have most tracks in the center but I make some of them wide using chorus, reverb, stereo frequency shifting, stereo unison detune etc.
than its a stereo signal that is panned to the center :)
rcnt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rcnt »

Stomper wrote:think of it as an instruments on a stage. kick, snare and bass are centered.
you can pan the hi hats hard left and right, or 70 to each side, whatever sounds good.
just spread other instruments to different places.
pan one a bit to the right and similer one to the other side.
or send it to a reverb/delay that is panned to the other side to fill the frequencies.
go crazy as long as it sound good.
there are no rules.
Kick, snare, bass and even clap I put in center, but I don't think that hard left/right is good option. U usually go max to 9 o'clock(left) and 3 o'clock (right) but when I listen other artist there is so much space in their tracks, I do use lot of reverb, delay, but I can't achieve that amount of space.