modular synthesis

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

:arrow:
Last edited by steevio on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

nakoradiomies wrote:so you guys did not get my point right..well this is internet, maybe i try to use google for finding it out.
ok bro, it did come over like 'do you guys actually make music with this sh!t? ' :lol:

no worries. :)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the stuff i'm making is sometimes pretty weird. but that's mainly becuase I've never had so much freedom making electronic music. You don't have to think in advance about everything. I just play around with my machines and record. Totally in the moment. I've never had that opportunity with electronic music machines.

But like has been said, modular doesn't need to be about farting around doing stupid sh!t. These are some of the most interesting and focussed musical tools ever created. It's up to the user how to use them.

That deamau5 video is pretty bad. THat dude doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. He posted another intereview thing a bit later where he managed to actually half understand what he was doing.

There is no piece of music that will ever be recorded that will represent the full potential of modular equipment. The only way to know the potential is to think deeply about the concepts of modular and to slowly apporach using one somehow. Demos might give an idea of the tonal/expressive range of a single piece of equipment. But they won't do much more than that.
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

eh..okay maybe i start with building analog sequencer for the ms20 first and see what more i can get
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

Would love to see an update of everyone's systems.. pictures would be cool. I'm still in the process of researching although its hard not to start buying modules . I think by christmas i will be sorted. Will be back with questions shortly
Last edited by goomba on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

oblioblioblio wrote:the stuff i'm making is sometimes pretty weird. but that's mainly becuase I've never had so much freedom making electronic music. You don't have to think in advance about everything. I just play around with my machines and record. Totally in the moment. I've never had that opportunity with electronic music machines.
Freedom to do what? I've been reading parts of this thread but certain things crop up with little or no explanation as to what the person actually means.

Like here, you say you have never had so much freedom, but freedom to do what exactly?

Then you say you don't have to think in advance about everything, that you just record. But record what? I don't get what you are recording if you have no idea or direction as to what it is you are actually doing.

Just a bit confused as to the nature of the music itself and where it is coming from. Are you saing the system is writing the music for you? All music must have some prior degree of advanced thinking at some point surely?

Just trying to get my head around the concepts and what is actually going on, it all sounds completely alien to me. :lol:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

@AK.

i know what you mean mate. i've been trying quite hard to express my love for this method of music making, but the only real way to communicate is with direct experience.

By freedom, I mainly mean the ability to do things without planning too much in advance. I've neevr had that with electronic music. You know, like some guy sitting at an acoustic guitar or set of drums. Except with electronic concepts etc.

I;ve just been recording more or less everytime i sit at my machines and play around. 40-60% of the time it's crap/average, but sometimes i really like it.

Theres a schneidersladen opening in London in October. Get your arse down there and see for yourself!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Got ya!

I guess it's something you have to experience for yourself then to appreciate the concepts. I've only ever known 2 ways of sequencing/making music. The latter is obviously computer based linear and pattern sequencing, the earlier is hardware pattern based sequencing. To be fair, I don't mind pattern based sequencing ( esp since Ableton Live emerged ) but I hate linear based sequencing, too much energy goes into linear based arragement which kinda kills the spontaneity and freedom of a live arrangement.

I was far more motivated with music when I had a number of grooveboxes and external modules with pattern based sequencing, having the ability to mix n match various patterns/sequences on the fly gives rise to some interesting arrangements that I'd probably have never captured working with linear based sequencing. Is this the sort of thing you can also do with a modular set-up?

Like I say, I like the concept of Live ( session view ) but I have to say, I detest looking at a screen when making music, I have also never quite bonded with software instruments - which is why I'm totally rebuilding my set-up from the ground up.

I'd have loved to go down to see that in London, unfortunately, these things always seem to crop up when I have tons to do. :(

Cheers anyway, really interesting thread this.