Communication Changing

- open
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i complain about the internet but then i realise that i actually live in here. i can literally trce back huge amounts of my social life by looking at old forum etc etc.

i need to get away from it from time to time though. there are definitely some negative sides.

i think with social networking sites there seems to be a constant cycle. something is popular then something new comes along.

forums are good for some things.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

i definitely think that there is a push for collective corporate things. Not always the best at expressing myself, but there is an awful lot of cookie cutter stuff in life. I've had to joining facebook because I felt I was like Canute against the sea.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001617697723

I'm here if anyone wants to add me :)

good discussion nonetheless :)
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

I hope the reason for this place being a bit dead is because everyone is making some sweet sweet music :)
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

I met my wife on Myspace
T-shirt time!
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i like to be in touch with people without having to travel across the world... facebook is great for that

but when it comes discussions, i do prefer to do it over a drink or 2
it's good to see a real person in front of you, than an small pic or icon

people on forum tend to act like dickheads or have trouble getting their heads out of their asses... or worse, they copy the opinion of the forum alpha dogs :-) especially when it comes to techno celebritries, not many people dare disagree with these cats
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

dsat wrote:i like to be in touch with people without having to travel across the world... facebook is great for that

but when it comes discussions, i do prefer to do it over a drink or 2
it's good to see a real person in front of you, than an small pic or icon

people on forum tend to act like dickheads or have trouble getting their heads out of their asses... or worse, they copy the opinion of the forum alpha dogs :-) especially when it comes to techno celebritries, not many people dare disagree with these cats
Good points.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

The thing I tend to dislike about facebook/twitter as a form of communication, is that most of it feels like a one-way conversation.

There is something that I dislike about the discussion forums that FB has implemented on group / fan pages / etc, and when doing status / wall posts, it either becomes too insular between a small number of people, or feeling like a shouting contest.

I think forums still provide a good environment to actually carry on conversations, but its a matter of having enough people to keep things alive / evolving, but not having so many people that it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. It can be hard to hit that balance of 'quality vs quantity'.

One of my favorite social sites right now is Reddit. For me, it feels like it has a good balance of social media / news / articles while still maintaining a feeling of being a forum where you can have real discussions.