ItchyClips // building blocks of music

- ask away
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

I dont think anyone would sell their projects/source files for 5 euros.
bam
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

I think its a pretty good idea. In a way its a slight evolution on playing records.. Its essentially what Speedy J philosophizes about all the time, and something Hawtin had expressed a few years ago he was hoping would happen.

I am not sure if the current incarnation is the right one, Ableton and all, but then again... I love the idea.

I would love to contribute to some sort of pool like this. 5 bones for a bunch of stems in Ableton by artists of such quality as Stewart Walker is worth a hell of a lot more to me then an mp3 from beatport..

And if it encourages people to try new things to fill the vacuum that the (sadly) dying vinyl scene is leaving, so be it!

(Tho I miss the big days of vinyl quite a lot)
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

victorjohn wrote:I think its a pretty good idea. In a way its a slight evolution on playing records.. Its essentially what Speedy J philosophizes about all the time, and something Hawtin had expressed a few years ago he was hoping would happen.

I am not sure if the current incarnation is the right one, Ableton and all, but then again... I love the idea.

I would love to contribute to some sort of pool like this. 5 bones for a bunch of stems in Ableton by artists of such quality as Stewart Walker is worth a hell of a lot more to me then an mp3 from beatport..

And if it encourages people to try new things to fill the vacuum that the (sadly) dying vinyl scene is leaving, so be it!

(Tho I miss the big days of vinyl quite a lot)

+1 I agree. (miss the vinyl too)
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

A good idea, but I hope my estimation is wrong - I think we will hear more mediocre boring loops mashed together and less good music. It's all about music and not about demonstrating technology. If you do really great music then you can think about playing it live, but not before.

That's my view, you may disagree. :)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i like it. It would be better if the usage policy was more clear. seems a bit unclear to me how it all works. can i use it in my productions for commercial sale? etc...
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
stewartwalker
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stewartwalker »

Hey everybody,

Sorry it took me a minute to get on here and reply. I want to explain my reasons for starting ItchyClips and answer any questions you might have, or have already posted.

To begin with, the number one resistance I anticipated to ItchyClips was what Rookas said above: "this will add even more copycats to the scene." I'm sure it will, because electronic music has gotten democratized with computers and software since around 1999... Before that, I had to collect a unique synth for every voice of a multitimbral production. It was much easier to make a minimal track when I only had a few synths and a drum machine. As you all know, computers allowed me and everybody else unlimited polyphony and unlimited compressors, equalizers and reverbs.

Anyway, the reason music probably all sounds similar these days compared to the pre-computer days is that everybody is using the same VSTs, without having a lifetime of learning synthesis, compressor ratios, reverb pre-delay or whatever. And of course, music that sounds familiar sells much better than music that sounds new.

I am actually hopeful that ItchyClips will function as a learning tool for young producers, because the ability to reverse-engineer different tracks from different producers has never existed before. Occasionally, I run across extracted vocal takes like Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" or that awesome Mutt Lange production of Def Leppard's vocal on "Pyromania." Hearing the components outside the mix helps me understand what professional sounds like and can educate me so much more than reading a dry technical manual.

Needless to say, learning how to make music is a good way to learning how to make music personal.

Stewart
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

ha, didn't even think about that point of view. Indeed, could be interesting for the newbies like me to be able to look "under the hood" to see how a track was made. And you can then use what you've learned to do your own thing...

Nice one. I'll have a look at it this weekend :)
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

sorry to sound rude once again , but i really think that it will noly be used as a loop library :(
its all about the rhythm