advice on doing a vinyl run

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

PsyTox wrote:Total Vinyl also messed up when we placed an order there. We ordered 300, only got 180. During pressing the metalwork had cracked or broke down or whatever, so they just figured "let's just throw it in a box and hope the belgian can't count".

Took them two months to come up with the rest. They are extremely cheap though.
Cheap yes, but there is a reason for it. It took us about 4 months to get the problem sorted as they went through so many staff. I applied for a job there infact, but the fuckers said they couldn’t pay me enough. (My previous job I was paid a lot more and it concerned them)

We now use Dubplates and Mastering and have no complaints.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tone-def wrote:how much will the record label get back from a record sold?
3 euros export ad 3.30 inland. We get £3 upwards when selling to a uk shop direct.
Roual
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Roual »

steevio wrote:
almost all the pressing plants ive used over the years have made mistakes, even the good ones, also printers make mistakes, jeez theres a lot of incompitence in the record industry,

it's mainly to do with money and pressure to get things out of the door fast.

my last release had to be cut three times, two lots of metalwork made because of mistakes, record sleeves from the printers arrived damaged in battered boxes, and i had to claim compensation, then just if that wasnt enough, the courier lost a whole box of 100 records out of the shipment on its way to Kompakt in germany,

the release was nearly 6 months late coming out
it made me decide to have a break for a year.

sorry to read that
for me good vinyl is worth the wait and it's how fast somebody jumps when something goes wrong which i'm looking for.
Roual
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Roual »

steevio wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
I don't think we have seen/heard of any mistakes on any of the other releases at any of the other pressing plants we have used (on the other 25-30 releases we've had)...
either ive been un-lucky or youve been lucky :)
I think you've been lucky Patrick and long may it continue for you :lol:
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

steevio wrote:
PsyTox wrote:I just cut out as many uncertainties and pick the records up myself in London and I ship everything with our own courier. Working in logistics/wholesale sure does have its advantages :)
believe me bro, i try to cut out all uncertainties myself, i pick the records up, i attend the cuts, i drive the laquers from the cut to the plant etc. etc.

but why UPS should loose a box of tunes is beyond me, and i had to wait nearly 4 months for the compensation.

i think anyone who hasnt had any problems at all with releasing vinyl records is a very lucky man. ive been running record labels since 1981, and hundreds of tunes have passed through me, and theres been alot of hassles and problems over the years, and ive used at least 10 different cutting rooms, and 6 different plants, 12 different distributors.
Your problem is UPS. Sh*t company ;)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

PsyTox wrote:
steevio wrote:
PsyTox wrote:I just cut out as many uncertainties and pick the records up myself in London and I ship everything with our own courier. Working in logistics/wholesale sure does have its advantages :)
believe me bro, i try to cut out all uncertainties myself, i pick the records up, i attend the cuts, i drive the laquers from the cut to the plant etc. etc.

but why UPS should loose a box of tunes is beyond me, and i had to wait nearly 4 months for the compensation.

i think anyone who hasnt had any problems at all with releasing vinyl records is a very lucky man. ive been running record labels since 1981, and hundreds of tunes have passed through me, and theres been alot of hassles and problems over the years, and ive used at least 10 different cutting rooms, and 6 different plants, 12 different distributors.
Your problem is UPS. Sh*t company ;)
yes i wish i had a choice, but i dont organise the courier, the distributor does.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Lots of great advice/experience here and in the other thread. Thanks everybody for your counsel so far!
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
jackbrazzo

Post by jackbrazzo »

Victor - give me a sound clip, I am an avid vinyl buyer and regularly try to buy vinyl particularly targetting small runs as I want something a little different.

I may not like it, but i might do.

Good luck with the pressings dude.