for the label owners out there

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

::BLM:: wrote:
Themis wrote:it stays right where it is.

you produce and release tracks on vinyl

we buy it

some fucks download it from bloggs

end of story
+1

Our vinyl sales have stayed the same since 2006. We have however had an increase of digital sales over the last 2 years. It's just annoying that this scene is so small yet people want to take from it for free.
I have to disagree. From what I know of most labels in the business, then the vinyl sales have dropped dramatically the last 1 year especially!
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

you story is everywhere the same , maybe its the music which lost quality? not the format? looks like evrybody isnt talking bout that...
and im buying vinyl, dont get me wrong , but people who are downloading wouldnt buy it anyway , lots of time people just dont have the money to buy tracks , easy to talk when you are living in countries where you all have jobs or you can live from your country money:) no offense. ofcourse there are people who wont buy tracks , when i was living in uk i met alot of people who have got new cars and have got big incomes , they wont buy tracks , because they're looking at it as we do, its just some background for them , 1 month tops and they wont listen to it again.
its all about the rhythm
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the kind of music you put out can have an effect on if you have more success on Beatport or with vinyl. just look at how different the beatport top 10 is compared to the juno top 10.
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

Rookas wrote:maybe its the music which lost quality? not the format? looks like everybody isnt talking bout that...
+1
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:

we buy it

end of story
+1

Our vinyl sales have stayed the same since 2006. We have however had an increase of digital sales over the last 2 years. It's just annoying that this scene is so small yet people want to take from it for free.
I have to disagree. From what I know of most labels in the business, then the vinyl sales have dropped dramatically the last 1 year especially!
Yeah, but I don’t think it's going to get any worse. That's the point I was making! Anyways we should have been putting records out in 1999 Patrick, we would be living off it I’m sure. There are labels like Cecille that are still doing loads of units, so there clearly is a market out there.

Yeah Tone there is a difference. Beatport doesn’t do all that well with the deep stuff like Juno. I guess vinyl lovers like things a bit different then digital lovers. Beatport is full of sheep.... You need BP on your site plus some big dj's charting your music and you will be fine.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

::BLM:: wrote: Anyways we should have been putting records out in 1999 Patrick, we would be living off it I’m sure.
True fact 8)
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and probably get flamed right off the forum, but since we're on the subject I really feel the need to ask:

To all of you label owners putting out limited vinyl-only runs and then lamenting the fact that people download rips online: what about this surprises you, exactly? If the tunes on your label are good, then people are going to want to hear them. If they can't easily buy a copy, then do you honestly expect them to just shrug their shoulders and just go on with their lives? And regardless of limited quantity, vinyl (as much as I do love it) is simply not convenient at all for the typical listener. Why would someone who doesn't even own a turntable buy a record?

I'm not suggesting that people have a right to any piece of new music by any means necessary. I'm just looking at this from a realistic perspective. If people want the music on your label, they WILL get it. Limited/vinyl-only releases are great, but the caveat is that by making your music less accessible, you're likely to see an increased number of illegal downloads. It's simply the other side of the coin. Again, I'm not trying to argue the morality of it, only the the reality of what happens.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

we buy it

end of story
I like your way of making this so simple and using "we" as if everyone was thinking that way... Not sure what to reply to this as, in a way, I agree with you but I also feel it's a bit off.

I feel the frustrating part of the illegal download is the lack of feedback this causes. With sales, you sort of know where your label is situating, what really works and what not, but when you have no sales report and not much comebacks, it's like advancing in the dark. I know labels should just release music they like, which is what I do, but I also like to know my market and more so, be able to tell my artists better news than "I owe you 15$."

Anyway, I just sort of quitted all that BS anyway. I just got a job and don't really give a fck anymore. I'm managing the label to put out music i believe in. Although if I had more output, I'd be able of greater things.