DSI Tetra + Vermona DRM or Prophet 8 or Deopfer A100 ?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

btw i'm not saying there's anything wrong with a Prophet 08,
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

Big thanks for your advices :)
oblioblioblio what good oscillator did you suggest for a modular setup ?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

tintin2085 wrote:Big thanks for your advices :)
oblioblioblio what good oscillator did you suggest for a modular setup ?
A lot of it is down to personal taste... there aren't too many options around and your best bet is to read as much as you can about modular stuff in general if you are interested and you will get an idea of what options are avialable. check the thread on this forum for better info.

I am using 2 * Wiard Anti-Oscillators and a Macbeth dual oscillator. Macbeth is silly money and would kill your budget, but is 2 moog inspired completely beautiful and incredible sounding oscs... maybe check Analogue Systems or TipTop audio for a more realistic alternative (which would sound a lot better than DCO oscs). Anti-Oscillator is wierd and sometimes nasty sounding, but also does a fine job of complex and often very beautiful FM textures. These are the only oscillators I will be using in my set up right now. After adding a couple of filters and a few other simple ways to make sound theres not too much room for anything else... but that's just me.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

best value for money / features imo is the Tiptop Z3000 VCO,

slightly nicer sounding but less featured is the Asys RS95e

if you've got money, Oblio's suggestion of the Macbeth dual osc is the dream machine, or the Livewire AFG and the Cwejman VCO 2-RM slightly cheaper but less featured.
both the Macbeth and the AFG are made with discrete 1970's quality components, you pay for what you get.

TBH, most of the modular VCO's make your software or your VAs sound like sh!t.

you have to hear it in the flesh to know.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i've got a vermona and a DSI evolver.

if i'm honest the evolver has put me off DSI synths. they all have the same DCO, VCF and VCA and i don't think they sound that good in a single voice. but as poly synths i think they would be really good. i'll probably sell this evolver and hopefully one day i'll afford the poly evolver. i would probably have liked it if i hadn't have played with one of these.
now my expectations of what an oscillator and filter should sound like is very high.

the vermona is really nice but it's more of a second drum machine for me. it compliments my Korg EMX very well. the vermona sounds nice but it's not very inspiring.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think there is definitely the possiblity to have a great 'old school' techno machine set up like old Roland drum machine + 1 or 2 synths but with modular. (not a copy, but having some similar restrictions and with very exciting machines)

i haven't used any piece of equipment as immediately inspiring as modular, but part of that is becuase it's very fresh to me... in some time i think it will become a bit more day to day like my old set up, but right now every day is something new.

the idea of using fully analogue oscillators is really interesting to me. Previously I had to work with every wave form with post processing to get it musical and expressive, but with a good signal from the start you don't need reverb, you don't need to warm it up with distortion... everything you could ever want is there from the start. 4 oscillators is richer and denser and has more 'voices' just from the texture than any amount of layering of digtal stuff (though i haven't heard any dcos to compare against, but I suspect they less intersing than vcos).
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
solart
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by solart »

go point blank for Doepfer A100 - think tho if u wanna build urself /kinda crazy - its investment for future...
solarmachines?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:i think there is definitely the possiblity to have a great 'old school' techno machine set up like old Roland drum machine + 1 or 2 synths but with modular. (not a copy, but having some similar restrictions and with very exciting machines)
thats my plan, i want 2 or 3 drum machines, decent VCO mono synth, decent poly and finally a modular.