YES YES - PLASTIKMAN IS BACK

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

hm seems like im the first who cant agree

i dont really want to jugde the quality of the musik and production itself cause i know nothing about the old plastikman and im not a producer.

i have to question the place and enviroment in which this set was created.

i joined at 3.30 ricardo and was out of my mind until 6 o clock were i have to take a break. at 8 oclock i joined plastikman, after 30 minutes i thought thats the boringst stuff i ever heard. after 45 minutes i went to another floor cause i had the fear of coming down too much.

i hope it was an experience for the people who liked the plastikman sound back then.

but overall i think this kind of sound and presentation has much more justification on events like Sonar and Mutek .. or maybe on timewarp but in the days befor the DJ Event..
nathan_fr
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nathan_fr »

Few screenshots I've made from the iphone application.

First, you need to connect to the local wifi server. It was a pain in the a.ss, it wasn't working during the first 20 minutes of the show, they didn't expect that much people I guess. I hope they will fix it for the next performances.

Then, you were able to see the bpm, the names of the track and the sequence

The numbers below the bpm correspond to the sequencer. It was changing during the show in real time. The most amazing thing about the iphone app was how precise the synchronisation was between what you see, what you hear what appears on you iphone.

In addition to this, few features appeared during the show.

For example, at this moment:

You were able to see the squares moving in real time.

You were also able to see a video, but it didn't work on my iphone.

As a result, it was an amazing experience for sure. To be honest I expected more from the application, but it's a good start.

Besides, it uses a lot of battery. At the end of the show, my phone was empty.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Themis wrote:at 8 oclock i joined plastikman, after 30 minutes i thought thats the boringst stuff i ever heard. after 45 minutes i went to another floor cause i had the fear of coming down too much...
Well I think the music has to be boring when people have time to fiddle about with their phones or whatnot (instead of bangin their azzes off to dark pounding beats) :D

ok jokes aside I think it had to be fckn awesome judging from the vids. Don't know on what planet of very interesting music are you living though...
Imo the ricardo stuff seemed real average (for him - also judgin from vids, on site it may have been different fcource).

peace
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

couldn't listen to it at floor2 cause it was way too crowded.. but due to the video broadcast i was able to listen to it on floor1.. sad thing was that the video wasn't working so it was a little bit strange to stand on a floor in front of an empty dj booth listen to music which is transmitted from another floor..

found it really really great, especially on such a big soundsystem.. but couldn't listen to it until the end because it wasn't what some people of my crew expected..

and at this time i thought staying alone in front of an empty dj booth feels little bit strange so i tried again for floor2 but securities already closed it cause it was getting realy dangerous due to hardly pushing people..

think it's nice to see richie doing this cause i honestly hated his dj sets since he changed to his completly digital setup..

all in all i think i'm not gonna go next year cause i didn't hear anything mindblowing or any great dj sets but ricardo's (which was (-) ) .. surely carola's set was also good but imo it's way too predictable and nearly almost the same when he plays.. same with dice and so on.. totally shocking were the first 30 minutes of magda..(i don't like her dj sets anymore but this was way weaker than what i've expected..)

can't delight myself on hearing deejays who need hall, filter and this stuff on every transition to create tension.. think i'm gonna let those artists (which i really liked earlier) behind..

looking forward to sunwaves.. amazing lineup imo..

sorry to go offtopic by giving a review not only on the plastikman gig, but much better to open a new threat i guess :)
Last edited by roland on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

I think 2/3 of the guys there didn't get the show at all.. not to judge the one before me but I heard guys going off the dancefloor and say things like "This is Richie Hawtin? This is insolence" and they don't have any idea that it's Plastikman.

A girl came to me and asked if this is Dubfire playing while he was banging Substance Abuse!
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

anizz wrote:I think 2/3 of the guys there didn't get the show at all.. not to judge the one before me but I heard guys going off the dancefloor and say things like "This is Richie Hawtin? This is insolence" and they don't have any idea that it's Plastikman.
actually i don't know why he made this on timewarp.. it's not that unpredictable that most of the people there who know his sets from former years are gonna be dissappointed.. on the one hand it's nice that he made this show and imo it's fantastic cause i can enjoy richie's output again.. but on the other hand for me it looks like he tried to commercialize his old plastikman stuff by connecting it with the whole m-nus hype of the last years which is just undescribable
Last edited by roland on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

like i said, wrong enviroment

what do you expect if you present something like this on an event were 50% of the people ( or italiens ^^ ) come right from the carola floor..
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

Themis wrote:like i said, wrong enviroment

what do you expect if you present something like this on an event were 50% of the people ( or italiens ^^ ) come right from the carola floor..
totally true! If you would have stayed for Buttrich right before.. you would have been in the right mood! Let's wait for another few shows and let's see how the overall feedback is.. I think I am also attending SMS Festival or Paris to have a closer look to this
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.