New monitors...Kinda!!

- ask away
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

New monitors...Kinda!!

Post by Raddler »

M-Audio studiophile AV-40. 158$( the box says premium desktop speaker system....should have known!!). Wasn't expecting the world, but to my untrained ear they sound boxy and lack some high end. Sure could use some advice. I don't know if it's me or if they really do suck. Anyone have any experience with them. If I take them back, what's reasonnable under 300-400$??
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Is your studio has acoustic treatment?
if not, it is possible that its the room and not the monitors.
but not necessarily.

easiest thing to do is to ask a friend to bring his own monitors. if those also sound boxy, than its the room. if not, its the monitors.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

No my room is not treated at all, I suppose it could be the reason. However I have heard other monitors in my apartment and they sounded much clearer. I'm gonna do some research!!Thanx
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

alesis 520 or 620?
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

I have heard that the M-Audio speakers are not great. I would get a nice pair of KRK Rokit 5's or Yamaha HS50's. They might not have great bass due to their size (you can always get a sub at a later date) but their a good price and sound really good and flat.

Fostex have a great, meaty sound too for that price but are probably better for fun than production. I found that they have very coloured sound and make crap mixes sound good, which is bad.
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

Also, buying tip - Listen to a whole load a monitors in store before you buy! You will know when you hear the ones you like. Only use our advice as a guide. Let you ears choose. 8)
dan_g
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dan_g »

hi,

i got the Samson Resolv A6 about two weeks ago. price on thomann was 249,- €.

I like them very much !! ;D the sound is very clear and the bass is enough for my needs (down to 40hz). the size is also not too big, that was a major desicion help, because i have not so much space in my room.

the only contra (but i knew it before my purchase), they have a little bit of noise running, even when they're not connected. but if you don't focus on it, you don't here it ^^

greets
dan_g
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Is not you... Honestly, save a bit more money and go at least in the +$500 range. My opinion is that anything with a driver under 6" isn't going to be satisfying if you are making dance music.

i upgraded to Yamaha hs80's... and love them. About the hs50's my friends got them and had to pick up the sub in addition for the bass.

if you are really pushing for a set under $400... maybe the alesis monitor one mk2.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest