mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i strongly agree with Atheory.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

oblioblioblio wrote:i love No Smoke - 'koro koro' but that's abou as far as I've eevr gone with tribal techno.
i should have looked further down this road. that track is immense. I saw it recommended on a forum once but never looked beyond it.

about newer African influenced stuff. I'm not an expert at all. 'Sung Tongs' by Animal Collective has a fairly strong tribal kinda influence I think. Not techno at all but for me it's an almost perfect album. Also 'here comes the indian' by them, but that's a bit more painful exorcism deep in the forest rather than beach boys harmonies tribal experimental pop things.

Also maybe that Brian Eno David Byrne thing 'my life as the bush of ghosts'.

But yeah, i'd also like to hear more stuff in techno vein that is inspired passionately to use some elements from tribal musics. Villalobos has to be indrectly to blame with 'fizheur zieheur'. That's a really cheap and disrespectful exmaple of smapling, but actually that one works pretty perfectly.
Mick
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Mick »

Atheory wrote:I think the main problem i have with sample cds and sampling, is that should you at least like the cds your sampling.

Take early hip-hop, the breaks and basslines and stuff were mostly from funk and soul records that the producers liked and knew.

Now, the idea of sampling african vocal records just so you can make music that sounds like all the other african sample techno/house out there, but that you don't listen to/even like the music that your sampling. Its nasty. The worst kind of cultural imperialism.

I wish there was more african influenced (not african sample cd influenced) house and techno out there, theres loads of that stuff coming from south african (kwaito music) but the idea of only seeing the music as a kind of building block or something that you can chop into ableton or whatever is really disrespectuful.
I hear what your saying and do take your point but I wouldnt say I was into african/world music or a lot of genres I listen to for inspiration. I really like a lot of random stuff I find when hunting for tracks and sometimes hear a sample or a part of a track and think, wow that would work really well in a house track or whatever then sample it to fit with the track I have in mind or experiment to work around something. I wouldnt say it was any disrespect to the original artist and I would never blatently rip anyone off.

I see what your saying with regards to the building block comment, but personally I dont go specifically hunting for samples from other genres, but now and again if I hear something I really like and think will work well then ill sample it. people have been doing this since the begining of electronic music and a lot of benchmark tracks are based on samples from someone elses record. as long as the original artist gets credit and doesnt just get ripped off im all for it!
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

tone-def wrote:i strongly agree with Atheory.
Me too. This sort of cultural pluralisum is rife in most pop music and modern hiphop. You can hear the love for something if it is sampled with the right intentions.