Aurora Borealis

- open
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

Kiani wrote:if you go to finland, what are the chances of seeing it. i mean, I'm gonna go there probably this summer, so is it something that happens a lot, like a few times per month, or is it really rare? and more in summer than winter?or the opposite?
The further up north you go the more often it comes. In the summer its almost impossible to see as its so light all the time, in the winter its the other way around with alot of darkness. and also its better out in the countryside were you dont have any lights from a city reflecting in the sky. Its acctually is as much in day time as night time, but during the day its light so you can obviously not see it..
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by db2 »

I was up north in Michigan, about 4 hours north of Detroit, with a friend and his family when we saw the northern lights. We had no idea they were coming. Up there they were primarily green, pink, and blue. They weren't super bright in the sky, more almost fog or mist like, but it was still fantastic and lasted for hours. I'll never forget wandering the campgrounds with my friend that night and watching the lights while talking to other amazed campers.
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

you can't see them in the summer time as mr Stork said. it's light all the time but during the winter it's pretty common in the northern parts and sometimes you can see them here in Helsinki as well if you go out of town and there's no street lights. so chances you catch one during the winter in Lapland are pretty high given that the sky is clear of course. especially when it's colder.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

I think you can see it in the north, in laponia. Stockholm is not enough high in the globe :'(
bleepbleep
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bleepbleep »

Wow, definitley something I have to see at some point in my life.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

ewinz wrote:I think you can see it in the north, in laponia. Stockholm is not enough high in the globe :'(
I have seen some near Montreal, which is 47°14'North and Stockhom is 59°17'North...
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

LouisVee wrote:
ewinz wrote:I think you can see it in the north, in laponia. Stockholm is not enough high in the globe :'(
I have seen some near Montreal, which is 47°14'North and Stockhom is 59°17'North...
The megnetic north pole is not the same as the geographic north pole, the magnetic one is located in the north of Canada. So that makes Aurora Polaris seen much more south in north America than here in Europe. So the sights is as common in New York as in Stockholm even though New York is in the same latitude as Madrid.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

ahh! Didnt know it has to do with the magnetic pole