Recession hitting clubs

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah i have to agree with bhosa

as customer i wouldnt even pay the tram ticket to see some mediocre (most of us are) DJ, why should i ? me and my friends are also mediocre, we make a party at home and play for our self it is much more fun.

Also the whole live gigs are more than dispensable.. (Marc Houle, Reboot, The whole NL Gang Lauhaus, ect.. )

partys with friends only are much more fun right now, and in summer maybe travel to some big festivals ..
bshosa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by bshosa »

oh well, I wouldnt call local DJ's mediocre, I would say the opposite in fact most of the long time DJ's I know play far more interesting sets than most of the shooting stars of this & past season. That's why I really enjoy our private parties - vinyl only, good soundsystem, no need for doorselection and the dealers don't cheat on drugs ;)

Anyway - the topic was regarding recession - and I seriously don't think recession has sth to do with it. I guess it's the market itself - in the past 2 years we started to call shitty pop house underground music. Seriously most of the nowadays hits wouldn't have done it to the cafe del mar compis 8 years ago. This music is boring, repetitive PLUS it's not underground at all, no secrets, no speciality, nothing . Bullshit.

I see the names who thrilled me musicwise few years ago like 2000andone with all his achievements or Joris Voorn ( I guess the dutch scene is the best exemple for it) going more and more in directions play hits and shake champagne glasses in the full sun of Ibiza, which is cool in the summer, but .....

Past year has been announced as the Mannheim House year, this one should be the year of disco, what does it mean ?? It means that my friends Catz n Dogz formerly known as 3 channels and minimal techhouse sound who recorded a deep house album last year, come with disco sound & work with Jazzanova vocalists. In the other words there's not enough space for techno in the techno world, cause we let other music consume it. I mean the money, the media attention, the clubs and free booking spots. This business is not stoppable anymore, we can build up the new scene, and continue with organic work or just get used to what's going on, but please don't have the expectations to be sth special in sth which isn't yours anymore. And I it has nothing to do with recession.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

^
^
this
and...

[rant]
i remember going to partys because i wanted to see outstanding djs and liveacts playing completely new music live. a lot of people were there for the same reasons. party itself was not the only goal, spectacular music was.
now, go to a party and ask people about the lineup, i guess at least 70% don't know who is playing, and are there for partying and flirting, or because friends are also there.
what i try to say is that people go out more to "consume" a party than for real musical interest...
as everybody plays the same sound, liveacts are less (of course some do) interesting... why should i go out?
i prefer smaller/private/outdoor venues, but here the budget doesn't allow to book international acts...
[/rant]
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

I see techno doing very well in 2010. I don't know what people on this board consider to be techno but I'm talking about artists like Planetary Assault Systems, Rene Pawlowitz, James Ruskin, the Sandwell District crew, Prologue crew, Peter Van Hoesen etc. and around these parts they get more recognized now than, say, a year or two ago. It's also really strange to see people complain about the repetitiveness of techno. It's a bit like accusing a pop band for having song structures. Like, if you want to hear non-repetitive music I recommend you listen to something else than techno or minimalist stuff.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

During times of recession, people don't like repetative music?

Please expand on this, i'm confused.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Pretty much bs, the last recession was the golden age of electronic music. People WANTED to dance for hours to repetitive music, because it made them forget their sad lives for at least an evening. During economic upswings want short and catchy pop songs (check 80's, check 2000's), songs that fit the "spend lots, spend fast"-mentality that people have when the times are good. I really wish this recession would do the same as the last one, with lots of unneeded property suitable for underground parties, but haven't found evidence of such yet. I've actually been wondering why isn't there an abundance of empty office space, warehouses and such, if we have such a great recession and all. I'm looking for a (cheap) place to rent for a couple of nights, but everything's still expensive as f**k.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^
Yeah, i agree that recession or areas that have depressed economies are more likely to be bumping to dance music, its always been the way.

where u based anyway. i know that 50% of office space in london is vacant, but they mostly don't rent it out as property for tax reasons. theres no shortage of empty buildings there anyhow.

also theres lots of squat parties on a weekly basis that use empty spaces but they mostlly play the worst kind of music you can think of.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Atheory wrote:During times of recession, people don't like repetative music?

Please expand on this, i'm confused.
i don't really think it's because of the recession. you can blame everything on the recession... why do you think it's been so cold this winter? it's the fucking recession!

anyway i think it's more to do with the minimal techno getting boring. i know i'm sick of hearing those sets where it's all just sounds the same for 2 hours! i don't want to see a DJ play 20 versions of the same record, i don't care if it's "their sound" it's boring!