Detroit!

- open
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

have something like 8 Omar S records. can't stop spinning it.

And yes, i don't know anyone who doesn't listen to detroit music...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Dragonsand wrote:Blessed are the ones who are born and live in this city. If Omar-S did not live in Detroit, I'm pretty sure more people would admit that a big part of his tracks are cheese.

A troll has started. Now we can discuss. :D
I'll bite. :lol:
Really don't get what everyone is on about this Omar S. Sounds like oversteered loopy badly mastered nonsense to me. And you're probably joking, but I am actually sure that half of the hype is indeed the fact that he's from Detroit.
Which is overrated in 2010 anyway, riding on the fame of 25 years ago.
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

i think it feels good when tracks hit the reds sometimes. I'm kinda bored with the sleek sounds of european house and techno. Everything is perfectly balanced, kicks are tight, but it lacks the home made feel sometimes.
That's what i like in fxhe records in general. It's raw, but yet groovy.

KDJ, Parrish, they kinda do those sounds aswell, in a different way. But this Detroit house sounds real to me.

But what you're saying about being from detroit and all that... think it's wrong.

Would it be wrong to play rock n roll if you're from London? bossa if you're from Sao Paulo? Jazz if you're from Paris?

What would you expect? Detroit guys producing stuff for Cadenza?

BTW there are thousands more wankers who benefit from the Berlin image than Detroit.

At least when you listen to Detroit records, you easily recognise who produced what: that sounds like moody, that sounds like CC, Mills, Octave One. They're all different.

I wouldn't make the difference between most european producers who are being blowjobed by RA journalists in every review.
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

also, detroit is harder to copy.

We've been trying to do so for 25 years, no one really did.
Vito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Vito »

maxeinsoul wrote:i think it feels good when tracks hit the reds sometimes. I'm kinda bored with the sleek sounds of european house and techno. Everything is perfectly balanced, kicks are tight, but it lacks the home made feel sometimes.
That's what i like in fxhe records in general. It's raw, but yet groovy.

KDJ, Parrish, they kinda do those sounds aswell, in a different way. But this Detroit house sounds real to me.

But what you're saying about being from detroit and all that... think it's wrong.

Would it be wrong to play rock n roll if you're from London? bossa if you're from Sao Paulo? Jazz if you're from Paris?

What would you expect? Detroit guys producing stuff for Cadenza?

BTW there are thousands more wankers who benefit from the Berlin image than Detroit.

At least when you listen to Detroit records, you easily recognise who produced what: that sounds like moody, that sounds like CC, Mills, Octave One. They're all different.

I wouldn't make the difference between most european producers who are being blowjobed by RA journalists in every review.

Hahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol:
Beethovan acknowledged the visionary qualities of his music,saying those who understand it are freed from the miseries which others drag around with them....
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

PsyTox wrote: I am actually sure that half of the hype is indeed the fact that he's from Detroit.
Which is overrated in 2010 anyway, riding on the fame of 25 years ago.
I'm siding with PsyTox here that half of the hype is about him being from Detroit and Detroit as a city/place to be coming from is a bit overrated sometimes. But I still think some of Omar's tracks are absolutely brilliant and I like some of his rough productions as well.
milano6600
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by milano6600 »

I don't think Omar S is being hyped because he is from detroit, maybe initially most people were like ****, a new detroit-producer and that's how he got in. But after that if you're making shitty productions but everybody likes you just because you're from a certain city nah i don't believe that. Although I have to agree that some of his last production are quite lame.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

not every record he does is great, but he makes more interesting records with good/new ideas than most people.

re: detroit hype

anthony shakir is one of the best out there/ever but doesn't get talked about as much as other, lesser non-detroit guys.

omar s fabric cd is the reason he got hyped loads, imo.