Reverb by recording speakers in a big room

- ask away
leitmo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by leitmo »

agree with stomper, get a Convolution Reverb, download some Impulses from the net,

i have several collections: from Churches to Cathedrals, Halls, Auditoriums, Stadiums, Studios and also Kitchens, Living Rooms, Stairs...Hoovers, Washing Machines....

Try this and adjust carefully your Dry/Wet ratio

Hope it helps!
http://www.myspace.com/mantegaman
life was easier with tapes
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

This is a great idea, there are just a few, pretty important downsides. First, you need a space that sounds good, no point in recording bad sounds, you could just as well use a cheap reverb then. Second, you need a variety of mics and preamps, so that you can get different tones and choose the combination that suits your music best. Third, it's not as easy as it sounds. Micing up stuff is not that easy, if you want professional results.

This is definitely something I want to do in the future though, when I got a space I can customize to suit recording a bit better than a typical bedroom.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i love drain pipe reverbs.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

clubfoot wrote:sound-source at the bottom of a stairwell - mics at the top :o
That's basically how they recorded the drums to When The Levee Breaks. If anyone recorded that impulse response they could make a fortune.
Q: When people talk about drum sounds, they often refer to Led Zeppelin and "When the Levee Breaks" in particular. It wasn't all down to John Bonham's playing as producer. You knew what he wanted to hear.

Jimmy Page: Having worked in the studios for so long as a session player, I had been on so many sessions where the drummer was stuck in a little booth and he would be hitting the drums for all he was worth and it would just sound as though he was hitting a cardboard box. I knew that drums would have to breath to have that proper sound, to have that ambiance. So, consequently we were working on the ambiance of everything, of the instruments, all the way through. I guess this is the high point of this album. You've got something like "When the Levee breaks" which was with Bonzo in the hall and on the second landing was a stereo mike and that's all there was. But that whole drum sound and all this ambiance is now captured digitally in the machine. Where we would do it that way, you have now got it in machines. I think we set a trend with all of this.

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/i ... z0cWSjpnyc
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

^^ and i've never heard those drums outsized 8) great stuff
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »