some whining: thinking about to quit buying music and to dj

- open
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

some whining: thinking about to quit buying music and to dj

Post by regler »

I feel a bit sheepish about this, but I have do admit I'm really depressed because of the sound quality from music.

Yeah it's my passion, doing music, djing and hearing music, but buying music is like a bad drug for me. It's a bad experience..

I think most releases sounds poor (have you looked at the RMS levels at times? it's about -5 RMS...) or could sound much better. I spend a good amount from my (ok not that big) earnings on digital tracks (only wav or flac), but the result is not happiness but sadness, because I'm really not happy with the sound quality most of the time . At least over my monitors and my headphones - I only play in small clubs with at best mediocre or poor sound systems, so I don't have a PA 'reference' - I don't have an idea how it may sound over a funktion1 or something. In addition to that give a lot of money for this 'disappointing experience' which make this feeling even worse.

I hate to say, but I'm really thinking about quitting djing and buying music in general because of this and just hear dj mixes for the newest stuff and concentrate purely on producing music. Does anybody out there feels the same or em I just wrong in my perception from sound quality. I'm really curious.

Thanks for listening.
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

I'm kind of on in a somewhat similar boat. Time to put focus on not playing other people's stuff and putting energy into my own. To much of anything makes you an addict. Time to switch up. 2010 :) [/i]
Last edited by Hutch on Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Christ Lewis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Christ Lewis »

Seems you suffer from audiophilia. You might want to have that checked out. :p

Personally, I value creativity over sound quality. Not that this doesn't lead to some sort fatigue as well, but it can be solved by hooking up a third deck and add some novelty to the sound myself.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I don't agree at all. Lot's of great music coming out constantly and lot's of great music with great sound.
Of course there are also music coming out that you can hear wasn't through a mastering guy, and that's just pure shitness, but I still find that this only applies to small bedroom labels.
Edward_Molton
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Edward_Molton »

patrick bateman wrote:I don't agree at all. Lot's of great music coming out constantly and lot's of great music with great sound.
Of course there are also music coming out that you can hear wasn't through a mastering guy, and that's just pure shitness, but I still find that this only applies to small bedroom labels.
I agree with Patrick. There's so much good music nowadays and only one mouseclick away. (as buying vinyls is also one click away :) ) This year, thanks to the mnmlssgs-blog, people like Evad, Psytox,... I discovered new genres, new artists, new labels,... and that's why I love about music. If you get bored of a certain sound then there are plenty of new styles to discover.

There has always been lot's of crap pressed on vinyls and now released as mp3. I agree that there are certain label who don't master their tracks but that's only a minority I think. In the past you had a first filter with the buyer of the local recordstore who prevented us from crap but now it might some time to find nice track in the huge pile but it's always a great moment when you discover some great tracks.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

I hate to say, but I'm really thinking about quitting djing and buying music in general because of this and just hear dj mixes for the newest stuff and concentrate purely on producing music. Does anybody out there feels the same or em I just wrong in my perception from sound quality. I'm really curious.

Thanks for listening.
i dont buy mp3 anymore, only vinyles and i only spin my stuffes. a lot of work but 100% quality control. Most of the tracks out here , you can do the same at home , most of them are perc loops only with a few vocal samples ...
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

if the experience feels hollow, get a set of turntables?
Marvid
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Marvid »

Been through that more than once ...
My first major "DJ-Burnout" brought me from vinyl to digital, playing free netlabels only for some time. Being fed up with digital digging (just doesn't work for me) and taking a job at a record store brought me back to vinyl.
Now I feel like a kid in a toystore again and don't bother myself with anything digital as I can't even have all the cherries in the vinyl garden ;)
Just take some time off, do something not connected with music/DJing and you'll see how it starts to attract you again - real lover never dies!