Digitalizing your vinyl collection

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

steevio wrote:
LouisVee wrote:
PsyTox wrote:I once began at digitalizing my vinyl, but after a week or so I was so completely fed up I gave up.
haha same here. I realised that my vinyl rips were equivalent in quality of a ±128k mp3 -.- its ok to play at home, but never tried thoses rips in a club.
i dont understand why.

i frequently rip my own tunes back off the vinyl, and they usually sound better than the original wavs, infact i'd rather play them than the original wavs in clubs.

i've even used it as a recording technique, by getting dubplates done, then recording the dubplate back into my PC so i can benefit from the cutting room's tube outboard and the vinyl warmth. it sounds lush.

just use a good cart and a good soundcard.
+ 1000000, just leave yourself some headroom and you'll be fine....
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

steevio wrote: i dont understand why.

i frequently rip my own tunes back off the vinyl, and they usually sound better than the original wavs, infact i'd rather play them than the original wavs in clubs.

i've even used it as a recording technique, by getting dubplates done, then recording the dubplate back into my PC so i can benefit from the cutting room's tube outboard and the vinyl warmth. it sounds lush.

just use a good cart and a good soundcard.
I think its because I tried quite old used vinyls, that wasnt really "clean"

Also, i have Shure m44 needle which are designed for scratching,

And my audiocard isnt really good: M-AUdio audiophile USB

I'm now curious to try with high sound quality needles and a good soundcard;p Planning to get a new soundcard soon so...
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

prussell wrote: upgrading from a DJ mixer to a dedicated phono preamp can also help with sound quality, depending on the brand/build of each.

using a dedicated pre-amp would certainly add color not in the original song wouldn't it...
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

livecollective wrote:
prussell wrote: upgrading from a DJ mixer to a dedicated phono preamp can also help with sound quality, depending on the brand/build of each.
using a dedicated pre-amp would certainly add color not in the original song wouldn't it...
huh?
there is no way to listen to (or record from) any turntable without a preamp, whether it's integrated into a $50 Behringer mixer, or a standalone $3000 Rega.
RIAA curve.

my point was, i've seen too many people get a new needle & clean their records, but it all suffers if you're running through a low-rent DJ mixer, which yes of course adds color.
listen to the same turntable setup through a Urei vs an Allen & Heath.....they each give a different image of the sound, and it's easy to tell the difference.

the point of a dedicated preamp is to listen/record with as much transparency as possible.
you can also choose one to balance the type of cartridge you have: a cartridge with more emphasis on the highs would benefit from a Bellari tube preamp for instance, etc.

everything in the signal path affects the outcome: grounded outlet for the turntable, the record itself, stylus, preamp, cables, soundcard...all have potential to add noise or 'color' of some sort.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

at least I have an Allen & Heath mixer!
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

prussell wrote:very important:
*clean the record very well
Amen. Proper cleaning and poof... it sounds noticeably. Very much so in some cases.

Also, cleaning a record will prolong it's life substantially. Dust is enemy #1.
soggy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by soggy »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jiit ... -bug_music
in this slices interview steve bug talks about digitizing vinyl
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:+ 1000000, just leave yourself some headroom and you'll be fine....