Sebo K from his recent interview on RA

- open
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Sebo K from his recent interview on RA

Post by blizt »

"I don't know what the problem is, but I think that most of the records sound the same. There aren't really a lot of highlights and I think that people don't really try to risk anything. Nobody wants to make mistakes or try to do something special in these productions. I even started to find myself playing sets and afterwards thinking 'If someone was listening to my set tonight, maybe they will go home and won't remember a single song"
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

This guy might be onto something. I'm really looking forward to hearing the results.

wait... :shock:
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

Sebo K is alright, I like some of his songs, but he is producing pretty common stuff like Diva and Saxtrack. Not really songs I would take home with me. So dunno what he means really? Maybe being subjective but personal at the same time. I think there is a word for that? And defintely not the first person to say something similar like this, this year.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

the problem is that is everybody is using the same DAW , same samples , etc ...

it is hard to come with something nu nowadays , excepted if you have rare gear ( analog ) or a true musician ( vocalist , piano player, guitar player , etc ... )

i dont have a good voice , not english , but i try to use my own voice on my tracks , i also try to play some real hardware along with software , but most of my tracks are made in live ... so it sounds like everybody using live...

to make a track that will be noticeable nowadays you really have to dig in sounds , or melodies or incorporate non virtual content in your sounds ...

but at the end of the day , a good track is a good track , no matter how it has been made ...
ksaen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksaen »

camus wrote:the problem is that is everybody is using the same DAW , same samples , etc ...
I don't think thats the real problem. I think the problem is, that people arent honest to themselves. I believe that most of the producers do not make music because they see it as an artistic medium to express their real self. They do music because they wanna reach a status in which they wanna see themself. Be a famous producer/dj, be a musician, be in the techno scene, etc.
Most of them want to reach this achievement as fast as possible. And it is easily nowadays with applications like Ableton, etc.
But a real musician always tries to explore new ways of expressing himself or makes something new out of an old or fashioned way of producing music.
camus wrote:but at the end of the day , a good track is a good track , no matter how it has been made ...
Simply true.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Sebo K from his recent interview on RA

Post by New Guy »

blizt wrote:"I don't know what the problem is, but I think that most of the records sound the same. There aren't really a lot of highlights and I think that people don't really try to risk anything. Nobody wants to make mistakes or try to do something special in these productions. I even started to find myself playing sets and afterwards thinking 'If someone was listening to my set tonight, maybe they will go home and won't remember a single song"
I don't really agree with this. I think there are a lot of interesting tracks out there and a lot of tracks that are in a way unique. I think Sebo is just having a hard time in finding the tracks that he really likes, feels. I guess when you are making a living out of music and make it a profession you don't only choose tracks that you like but you have to choose tracks that the market values highly too. Thus compromising the choice of tracks day by day. In the end one might even compromise too much and totally loose the real self that they wanted to express through music. Assuming of course that there is such a thing as a real self.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

camus wrote:the problem is that is everybody is using the same DAW , same samples , etc ...
that is just not the right argument here. Jazz has been using the same instruments over its whole history and the music is still very interesting. It has nothing to do with sounds but how you use them and make yourself interesting. Yes, there is a lot of uninteresting music out there but IMHO, it has nothing to do with sounds, but how people make music.

Regarding people taking risks in music, I'm sorry but this is total problem as this whole scene is turning in circles. There is less gigs at the moment because of the saturation of artists, and because of the instantly-famous syndrome made by digital stores (but that's a whole other debate).
People want to play so they will copy what's working. The problem is, people don't buy the risky music so there's not much feedback to artists who try to be different. It's not a 20$ worth of sales that will make you want to do this kind of music... especially if you spent months in arrangements.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla old days were better Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla old days were better Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla old days were better Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla old days were better Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla old days were better Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla old days were better Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla old days were better Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla old days were better ImageImageImage