Advice on analogue mixers

- ask away
tbag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Advice on analogue mixers

Post by tbag »

I know there's been loads of topics on mixers the last while i just need some advice as I'm after building up a nice collection of hardware and as my soundcard only has 8 ins, ive decided to get an analogue mixer.

I need a mixer that i can connect via usb and record into ableton. I have a Mac but it doesnt have firewire (not sure why they discontinued the firewire port). I need about 16 channels on the mixer and my budget would be less than 1000E.

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Allen & Heath Zed series? R16 has firewire, the rest have USB. You won't get 16 channel recording at once though, USB bandwidth ain't up to it.

Zed-24 is 700 euros, that's probably closest to what you need.
tbag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tbag »

Yeah ive been looking at the Zed series, the R16 is lovely alright, not sure if i can afford it though! Its firewire too though right?

Ideally i'd like something that i can jam on and even if i could record say 4/5 channels at once, would i be right saying that the Zed 24 records the master rather than single channels?
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sherman »

How about one of the new Mackie Onyx-i mixers? Absolutely no experience with them, just saw them in my travels of the internet and thought they looked nice for what they are.
-- sherman