The Age Old Question...

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

you would die for a planet .. hm .. thats something for your psychiatrist i guess

also i find it quite funny, that you already have a total logical fact about VBR is better than CBR and still you ask for an opinion
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:
cloutier wrote:ease up there, mother theresa.
:lol: haha
miroslav wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:The sooner we are dead the sooner the planet gets back on track. I celebrate death. Mankind deserves it.
Fine, you go first. :roll:
I would have to take a lot of people with me to justify something that crazy.
Keep that up and we will look up your IP and call the police in your area with copies of your threats on here.

There are enough cases of lunatics who threaten all sorts of things online and then actually do it; we don't need another one.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

no one asked to be born dude...

what's the upper limit of vbr? i always though vbr 'peaked' at 320
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Carl Smart wrote:no one asked to be born dude...

what's the upper limit of vbr? i always though vbr 'peaked' at 320
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bitrate
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

miroslav wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:
cloutier wrote:ease up there, mother theresa.
:lol: haha
miroslav wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:The sooner we are dead the sooner the planet gets back on track. I celebrate death. Mankind deserves it.
Fine, you go first. :roll:
I would have to take a lot of people with me to justify something that crazy.
Keep that up and we will look up your IP and call the police in your area with copies of your threats on here.

There are enough cases of lunatics who threaten all sorts of things online and then actually do it; we don't need another one.
Pffft! Go ahead, call the police. How old are you? 16? Do you think that a cop who deals with drunk drivers, crack dealers, wife beaters, rapists and murders all day is going to bat an eye when you tell them that some guy you don't know on the internet expressed a hatred for humanity? They won't bat an eye, they know how much humanity can suck firsthand. They will say thank you sir for the tip and file that tidbit under "I don't have time for this." Besides, I have not threatened anyone anyways. I was just expressing my emotional reaction to the plight of our planet and trying to rationalize the circumstance in which I would be willing to take my life. Its hard to weigh. Whats the value of my life to me? 10 people? 1000 people? A million? Its hard to say. Nothing I said could be equated to a threat. I am just exercising my Freedoms of Thought, Conscience and Expression. I don't know where you are from but that is legal here.
Themis wrote:you would die for a planet .. hm .. thats something for your psychiatrist i guess

also i find it quite funny, that you already have a total logical fact about VBR is better than CBR and still you ask for an opinion
I have read things for and against. I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts that I had not already read. There is usually a audio buff or two on mnml that has a well informed opinion on these subjects. Just curious to know what people think.

I didn't say what I had read because I did not want to create bias in people responses.

I often wonder why 320 CBR is the most often used Compression if VBR is so much better. Is it strictly for compatibility reasons? Maybe everyone should be urged to switch. I don't know, these are the things on my mind.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

you cant talk about "so much better" if your talking about the difference between 320 CBR and 320 VBR

i doubt there are more than a handfull of human beeings that could tell the difference ..

i bet in 5 years nobody will talk about mp3s.
the whole compression thing just came up because there was not enough space.

now every iphone and ipod has several GBytes Space.
in 5 years nobody counts in GB anymore, there will only be TB.

yeah VBR is better
yeah CBR has more interoperability
there are a lot of other codecs who are even better than MP3

but nobody would here a difference and in 5 years the whole question will be no more. And please no voodoo discussion about you hearing the difference. if it is so than buy wav and be happy, cause the majority of the people cant hear the difference and they are happy with 320 mp3
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

That could be. At least for music for DJing or consumer consumption.

I think mp3 will still be very important when it comes to delivery of rich media over the internet. I am waiting to see what the final specifications are for HTML 5. I think its going to have native support in browsers. The specifications are not final as of yet though. I read something similar about ogg but I think it was dropped because of complaints by someone... maybe Microsoft. I haven't been following the subject too closely. I am just going to wait and see.

You are probably right about consumer music though.
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:Pffft! Go ahead, call the police. How old are you? 16?
Yeah, suddenly the person who is talking lunatic sh!t about hating humanity, wishing for everyone to die, "Taking people with him", etc. because of his great love for the environment is asking me to be mature. That's really funny. :roll:

Oh and by the way, if you were to get specific enough, then read these recent news stories for an idea of what might happen to you (oh, and they involve police):
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=onl ... a=N&tab=wn