Machinedrum Bass/Leads/Other

- ask away
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Machinedrum Bass/Leads/Other

Post by minormal »

Just wondering if anyone can vouch for sounds on a machinedrum (other than drums), i.e bass, leads etc? Really thinking about getting on of these if it can impress me in its flexibility which I know there renowned for.

Just sent a Mopho back as I wasnt satisfied at all with it. One thing I hated were the cheap plastic pots. Does the machinedrum still have plastic pots or were they upgraded when they released mkII?

Cheers ;)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i think you would be more interested in the monomachine than the machinedrum.
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

To be honest drums are my main concern, having bass and afew other effects would be a bonus. Just wondering how big of a bonus I would get :)

Looked at the monomachine but more interested in the machinedrum.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

minormal wrote:To be honest drums are my main concern, having bass and afew other effects would be a bonus. Just wondering how big of a bonus I would get :)

Looked at the monomachine but more interested in the machinedrum.
unless you get the UW its only drum synthesis and even then you have to add your own basses or whatever other samples

have you used a machinedrum before? i would try one out before you buy it cause it may not be what you are thinking
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

You can definitely make melodic / tuned sounds with most of the 'machines' (the drum synthesis modules) that the MD offers. The way in which you use them is very much determined by the sequencer which is a little difficult to explain without a demonstration.

My only occasional gripe is that the pitch is mapped out over the 128 MIDI values (which differs from module to module), not tuned to notes or frequencies. This isn't always a problem but fine tuning can sometimes be frustrating if you need it to be an exact pitch.

To answer the question I would say there is no problem getting good bass or pitched melodic elements out of the Machinedrum. You may not get them with the same process you are used to on a normal synth but if you are willing to be creative with synthesis and sequencing you can get some amazing sounds out of this thing!
Last edited by omnipresence on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

The machinedrum is capable of a ultra-wide range of sounds. I love mine to death.

For basses, you can use anything from the sine wave generator to a trick with the FM hi-hats and a bit of EQ. For leads any of the cowbell machines or again the FM hats/kick can work.

The MD is one of the sickest machines ever made, period, and in my book stands head and shoulders above any of the other (a ton of them) drum machines I have owned and used over the years.

If possible, get the UW version because its not the same without it. I have owned both and now that I have a UW I can never go back.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

There are many good example of MD only-tracks in the Elektron Users forum. You probably should check those out, to see what the machine can do.

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=28
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

Cheers people, really appreciate that info. Ill do some more research on it.

For some reason I thought it was set up like a electribe emx, 1 synth engine for drums and another synth engine geared towards other elements.

Shame the things are so bloody expensive! Suppose it makes them more unique and original sounding.