Demos

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

SHAP wrote:
::BLM:: wrote: We rarely sign stuff from demo's though. Pretty much all the music on our label we sourced ourselves.
Like alot of other labels. I think it's very hard to get a release on a big label by sending demos.
Nah this isnt true. If the music is good, labels will sign it. Just a lot of the time bigger labels have the contacts to get bigger artists, but this doesnt mean they write off the smaller artists.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

I'm really happy that people answerd this and that my CD idea wasn't as stupid as it seemed in the begining of the thread. I was almost thinking that the hours and hours of burning CDs listening to different labels and taking down adresses was a waste of time.

Still though i have one more question, my demo has three different tracks that in (atlast to my ears) are quit different in style do I perhaps point out to the label I'm sending it to that I thought perhaps track 3 fits there profile? Perhaps they will feel that I'm introding since ofcourse they're the ones to decide what fits and what dosen't?

PS. Patrick will you be at Culture Box when Marcel Plays?
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

Just make sure your best track is the first one and let them do the rest. They know what they are doing ;)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

JonasEdenbrandt wrote:PS. Patrick will you be at Culture Box when Marcel Plays?
Are we talking the Berghain night with Fengler and Dettmann, then very probably yes :)

There's a open air beach rave going on that weekend too, with some cool artists -> http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 821&ref=nf
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

JonasEdenbrandt wrote:pheek how do you recomend going about this. If i send them an email do I still show them what music I make threw a link? I'm guessing it gets anoying as a label owner when people send you demos with a template letter. Does writing a more personal one that shows that you listend to there music count more as getting to know the label?
Like Patrick said, think that you are making a job interview. I can sniff miles around if its a template email and they get down the thrash in a sec.

A good introduction mail would be that you get in touch with the label because you like their sound, then you should name some releases that inspired you, artists (OF THE LABEL), etc. That, for me, means you know what you're talking about. Too often i get brown nosers that tell me my label is their main influence and they're my #1 fan - then i check their myspace page and none of those details are in the influences...

You can end up with some links to your music, but I prefer engaging a dialogue if I'm inspired by the presentation, the myspace/personal page, blog, etc. You'd be surprised, I don't get that much mails like that, sadly enough.

I think people need to understand something here that perhaps need to be explained:

- Labels already have a roster of artists. We deal with a lot of communication.
- Labels have a schedule. Its not because you send this one demo that we'll put everything on hold for you, tell the 5-6 artists we are working with "guys, listen, we delay your release because this artist we never heard of wants a release."
- We have tons of demos, tons of promos. I rarely listen to something in the next 10 days I receive it. I know I'm slow but that's how i am, so are a lot of other guys. Be patient.
- Sell yourself wisely. Worst mistake ever, to tell us you're signed to 10 other labels. Labels want to work with artists on a long run who are dedicated.

So as Pat said, its a job interview. Why would I take you? Just because of your music or because you're interested in working with us? There's a HUGE (HUGE!) difference here.

it is not true that a CD will bypass everything. Same story.
It's not true that a track that fits a label will automatically be taken; timing might be bad.
I have this DJ woman that sends me music (true story), even though it sounds ok, i can't stand that image of fake boobs and plastic sh!t... you know? I could go on about stories here.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

pheek wrote: I have this DJ woman that sends me music (true story), even though it sounds ok, i can't stand that image of fake boobs and plastic sht... you know? I could go on about stories here.
I usually just keep the pictures then :lol:

Personally, I like getting CD's, it tells a lot about the determination. BUT. Make sure your best track is in the first three tracks on the cd and don't put too many on there. It's all about grabbing the attention.

The method I prefer most is Soundcloud. But that also has a downside: if I see that it says "this track was sent to you and 452 others", then I will not even bother and figure you just don't want to release with us, you just want any label that'll have you. Might sound a bit arrogant but you must understand that even small labels get tons of demos weekly, and you need to catch attention somehow.

Although i do use MySpace to check out what you have done, I don't listen to stuff when I get a mail saying "hey, I'm x and listen to my tracks on myspace!". Sounds a bit lazy and the sound quality on myspace players is so poor that it's impossible to properly judge if a track is good or not.

Anyway, as BLM said: more and more starting to ask artists for tracks ourselves, instead of taking on demos. Because as sad as it seems: people buy music based on names and not necessairily on the merit of the track. Which is unfortunate :|
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

pheek wrote:
it is not true that a CD will bypass everything. Same story.
it is in my case, if someone bothers to contact me to get our address and posts a CD to me, i have a duty to listen.
its no big deal for me to listen to a CD while i'm washing the dishes.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

PsyTox wrote: Anyway, as BLM said: more and more starting to ask artists for tracks ourselves, instead of taking on demos. Because as sad as it seems: people buy music based on names and not necessairily on the merit of the track. Which is unfortunate :|
it depends on what your objectives are as a label, my objective is to release quality underground music from mostly up and coming artists.

i would never release a record with a name on it just to attract attention to my label. it totally goes against my principles.
everything we release is purely for the love, i couldnt look myself in the mirror if i released a track i didnt really love, but because of a name.

(i'm not saying its wrong to do it, but its not for me.)