mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

How the hell do you quote each other on this forum!!!! :?:
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Raddler wrote:How the hell do you quote each other on this forum!!!! :?:
you push the "quote" button on their post?
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Robot Criminal wrote:
Raddler wrote:How the hell do you quote each other on this forum!!!! :?:
you push the "quote" button on their post?
thanx man
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Question about mastering......

Post by Raddler »

pheek wrote: The other approach is to ask the master engineer to take your mix and make it sound [a certain way or like an artist you like]. Then of course there might be a huge impact in the final result.

It's interesting to know that this can be done. I though mastering was mastering!!
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Question about mastering......

Post by victorgonzales »

Raddler wrote:
pheek wrote: The other approach is to ask the master engineer to take your mix and make it sound [a certain way or like an artist you like]. Then of course there might be a huge impact in the final result.

It's interesting to know that this can be done. I though mastering was mastering!!
I do most of the mastering for my label and a few of my friends. I don't have the worlds best setup but I have a good ear for other peopel music Im told.

If the track is horribly mixed I probably wont work on it or accept it for the label in the first place. But if it is decent as many experienced artists are, there is very little to be done with mastering. Most of the time I end up just tweaking a few things to make sure it sounds good on a car stereo or a boombox as well as a big bass system. If I notice some muddy areas I thin them up a tiny bit the best I can or if there is a sound disapearing that I think shouldnt Ill try and boost it up a little.

As for specifications sometimes people will request a certain sound and Ill just have them send me something to reference too like a similar track from one of their favorite artists.. Sometimes that can take a bit more work and I may even request them to send stems or to change something if they want that result.

So basically it is just up to you what you are looking for. If you think your track sounds shitty compared to other peoples I would recomend you take some more time to learn mixdowns and dynamics to get you track sounding right in the first place. It will have much better results that an engineer trying to boost and eq a single audio track into the sound you want.

I know from my experience so far that many artists have amazing skills that are hard learned and I barely have to do anything to master their songs. Some of my friends who I have done mastering for have improved so much over a year that I spend only half an hour mastering their stuff instead of a few days because there is not much to do.

having an engineer master your stuff could be the best way to figure out what you are doing wrong if your friends arent honest enough to tell you though. Sometimes friends are shitty like that telling you your stuff sounds good when it is crap.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^

ah thats interesting.

out of curiosity, do you master with software or hardware or a mix of the two.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Atheory wrote:^^^

ah thats interesting.

out of curiosity, do you master with software or hardware or a mix of the two.
software. As I said I dont have an awesome specifically built mastering studio. I just have an ear for it and have studied the art of it for a long time. I may not get the worlds best quality with my equipment but I get no complaints. I also don't charge money for it.

Im trying to buy a house right now and will probably ezxpand to some analog gear that is specific for that kind of thing.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

if it sounds good it sounds good....

good luck with building the house also.