Best Advice You Could Give off The Top of Your Head

- ask away
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

dont put so much pressure on yourself for not having made a track in ages. If youre not feeling inspired then just sit down and let yourself go for a bit, and if you find it interesting render it and save it for later. Dont be overly concerned about not sounding 'personal' (as in good but not amateur), just do music that you like to listen to. I think what I am trying to say is really 'its a hobby and nothing else, its supposed to keep you creatively engaged, not sleepless at night"
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Carl Smart wrote:dont put so much pressure on yourself for not having made a track in ages. If youre not feeling inspired then just sit down and let yourself go for a bit, and if you find it interesting render it and save it for later. Dont be overly concerned about not sounding 'personal' (as in good but not amateur), just do music that you like to listen to. I think what I am trying to say is really 'its a hobby and nothing else, its supposed to keep you creatively engaged, not sleepless at night"
Good advice. I'm struggling right now as I have been through a lot in my personal life but even though I might not be banging out tunes every month, I have learnt a massive amount of a lot of things ( which ultimately will help in the long run )

So to concur, if you are not in the mood for arranging a tune or even having the impetus to see a tune out, just doodle. Experiment with different things, spend a day making synth sounds, spend a day getting to know the more esoteric functions that reside in your fav software, practise all the things that you were not overly keen on in your last track, make samples, make riffs, make chord progressions. It's all good, any time spent crafting your skills is time well spent.
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

Carl Smart wrote: its supposed to keep you creatively engaged, not sleepless at night"
i keep forgetting it over and over...
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

There's no such thing as a useless piece of gear.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Do whatever you like. Even go against the advices given from anyone as long as you feel like it.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

don't think anyone has mentioned this yet -

learn the basics of sound and synthesised sound. if you know why fm/subtractive/wavetable synthesis works how it works, it will give you infinite more control over your sounds.
royen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by royen »

My best advice: Heed every piece of advice above and (assuming I don't kill this thread) below this post ;)

Also, in the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupery: "A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. " <- Very close to a minimalist manifesto.
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

tone-def wrote:Just do your thing and don't try and be anyone else.
Worst advice ever. You should always study, deconstruct, compare and struggle to mimic as closely as possible the very best elements of your favourite tracks. How else do you expect to become good, by accident?