DEMF reviews...

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

production value was much higher than the other years, and damn near everything went off without a hitch, but the underground stage sounded like a giant wet fart and there was no definition to any of the sound.

the afterparties, per usual, was where it was at.

oslo monday night...steve bug vs. adultnapper + myself was totally fucking bananas.

old miami was a total blast this year, but most all of the music and mixing left a LOT to be desired.

omar-s for the win!! his set sunday afternoon at exodus was absolutely mind blowing.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

b-ran wrote:how was daze maxim? i never hear anything about that guy
spacewhitey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by spacewhitey »

cloutier wrote:

oslo monday night...steve bug vs. adultnapper + myself was totally fcking bananas.

old miami was a total blast this year

i was also at oslo on monday 12 until they shut er down - it was some of the best music all weekend - steve and francis fucking killed it - eric - I didnt realize that was you - I would have introduced myself.....set sounded good man !

old miami was lots of fun and as usual one of the best parties all weekend - rich with vibe and the weather was perfect

bruno at the other 9-5 on sat was legit (fav set of the weekend) as was jan and daze - didnt hear the clink room but I hear they tore it up

luciano and loco dice on the boat was really amazing - one of the best parties I have been to in years - stayed til the end on that one - what a blast !

closed the weekend out with hot natured 80's and disco party at exodus - fun/relaxing way to close out a long fun weekend

overall i had tons of fun and will return for my 5th installment next mem day without a question
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by db2 »

The Good/Knew it:

CLP (Chris Deluca vs Phono) & Richard Devine at the FI party. I suspected that these would be some of the best sets of the festival weekend and they delivered spot on. Devine played more structured IDM then he has the past couple of times in town, and CLP just play straight dirty party music mixed with all manner of noise and experimentation.

Kero at the festival. Finally something different to cleanse my ears of the 4/4 ableton drum kits Id been hearing all weekend.

The Good/Unexpected:

Flying Lotus. I don't know how he's gone under my radar but this set is right up there with the above sets as the best of the weekend for me, musically.

What I find very interesting is that all of the above artists are known for their leftfield beats and idm stylings, yet they all played a decent amount of 4/4 in their sets, and it was in general much more interesting than most of the straight techno I heard over the weekend.

No food/drink tickets. This was overall the biggest logistical improvement I saw over the weekend, that and getting rid of the tent stage behind the main stage.

The Bad:

For the past couple of years I've been hearing the freshness sucked right out of techno. Even the minimal music I hear has been becoming drier and more generic then it was just a few years back. It seems people have gotten to a place where what 'works' on the dancefloor has taken precedent over experimentation and creation, and I just hear so many dry duplicate techno tracks that have some kind of feedback/rattling/whitenoise/siren swell cresendo back into wobbling bassline and boom/click. I mean, what does it mean to make 'commercial music'? When you actually tailor what you are doing to appease market forces, in this case the least common denominator audience on the dance floor, are you not then making music for the masses in a sense? I know a lot of artists don't go into a techno set intending to clear a floor, but come on man. I love adam beyer and the whole swedish sound, and have even found myself interested in some of his newer productions, but talk about a generic sounding set, and it went on and on all weekend. Ultra generic techno from the hardliners.

One other thing I noticed, RAVE is back! I don't mean the culture or the clothing, I mean the sound. Ravey stabs, sirens, wierd ravey melodies and arpeggios, I heard them non stop all weekend from all corners of the EDM spectrum that I happened to catch. Some people managed to make them fun, or blend them with more serious elements to balance them out, but man, it was a rave-a-thon at the actual festival.

Overall it was a so so year. Lukewarm programming and sets with a few standouts, but as always, good times with friends, and just the right amount of debauchery to have an enjoyable holiday weekend.

Oh yeah, the strawberries at the ninos stand that we got were entirely white hard flesh with no flavor, perhaps one of the reasons for their lower price.
mr joshooa
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mr joshooa »

Did anyone catch the Exchange Bureau sets saturday night? not all preformances were note worthy , but Bill Beaver tore the fucking roof off the place!! He just may be the coolest mother fucker in detroit.( At least at that moment) Words cannot describe the energy he brought to the stage, you just had to be there.
Glitch mob absolutely destroyed!
Bruno's set @ the other 9-5 was spot on
K.atou , adam beyer, elon , camea , and kate simko all impressed at Resolute!
Henrick Schwartz live set on the boat was murder as well as luciano and loco.
Damian, elliot and Dear played accordingly at old miami
and despite the sh!t sound underground , Audions set was fab!
All and all it was another great year in detroit
beware of advice from experts, pigs and members of parliment
jtredwings20
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jtredwings20 »

made in detroit stage? i agree sound was for sh!t

other than that...i am now a fan of Flying Lotus

re:afterparties - C-Pop gallery on Friday was amazing (as was the open bar) and the Night Moves party @ River's Edge was downright silly

re:detroit police - i applaud their discretion & tolerance as many people were blatantly on some hard-core party favors

overall, good times

and 4 the haters: would u have rather sat at home doing the same old thing? appreciate that this event took place
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

jtredwings20 wrote:
and 4 the haters: would u have rather sat at home doing the same old thing? appreciate that this event took place
+1!
...and yes, the cops were remarkably mellow.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

this kind of sums up a good portion of this years demf, and should be a good precursor to what next year will be like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-eJDt-l_04
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier