Logic vs ableton.......

- ask away
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Logic vs ableton.......

Post by Raddler »

Hey guys/girls,

I was just reading a thread on another forum about which daw is more efficient at song workflow( and the caliber of their native instruments and effects),logic or ableton . I do believe any daw can create wonders in the hands of an experienced user, but I just wanted to hear your guys opinions on it when it comes to producing minimal. I have Ableton( producing 1 year), and love it more and more every time I use it, however I was just curious if considering logic would be wise for minimal production. I spend alot of money buying minimal tunes and always wonder what professional minimal producers are using as there main daw. I'd love to hear your opinions, and what daws most of you guys are using!Thanx
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I don't like Logic in terms of workflow, I spend too much time to adapt things the way i want it to be, so I prefer Ableton for that.
But when everything is ready, I usually rewire every channel to Logic because the sound is simply better in logic, and the tools to premaster the entire thing just are more advanced imho. I record everything in Logic and tweak the sound there. Have found that a loty

Still, when it comes to ease of workflow, nothing beats Reason, but the lack of vst support makes it a very limited thing at the same time, and sound is not as good as Abelton or Logic.

Hmm, basically: combine everything to have all the best bits work for you ;)
fragment
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fragment »

Many bigname producers produce on logic - but not because of the soundquality (there isnt a very noticeable difference between Logic and Live8) - when producing with Logic you have to have a real idea how you want everything to sound and its the more "classical" approach to music creation, so i guess thats why "real musicians" prefer Logics workflow

Live on the other hand is way more intuitive and encourages experiments more then any other daw - i find working with Live much more inspiring then any other software out there, when it comes to dance music production...

But yea PsyTox is right, just use everything you are comfortable with - the combination of Live,Logic & Reason via ReWire is incredible powerful

i prefer to produce in Live only, but thats just me - Live offers me everthing i need atm :)
"there aren't many problems which can't be solved with a kick drum on the first beat and a snare drum on the 3rd beat, and a whole lot of sub bass in the middle"

Setup: Macbook Pro 15" 2,5 • MOTU Ultralite • Ableton Live 8 Suite • NI Maschine • UC-33e • Novation Launchpad • Novation ReMOTE 25 SL Compact •
darzh liebek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by darzh liebek »

I'm moving to the States soon and was planning on getting an iMac there with Logic as it's so much cheaper than here. A lot of producers seem to migrate to Logic.

I love Live and have done all my work in that so far (after starting out on Reason). I sometimes feel like the sound is lacking something in Ableton Live, however, the more I produce the more I realise it's me that is lacking - not the DAW. You can produce amazing stuff in any DAW if you are creative.

It just takes a long time but eventually you come up with a system that lets you get your ideas out of your head and onto the page as quickly as possible.

I think Logic+Live will be the winning combo for me, but I intend to get to Rob Babicz quality with Live alone! :lol:
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

darzh liebek wrote:I think Logic+Live will be the winning combo for me
+1

although, logic 8 could do a stand alone easily...
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Ableton does not support sysex data.
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

If you use mac, try:

http://homepage.mac.com/nicowald/SubtleSoft/

free app for cc to sysex...
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Thanks for that, but at the moment I'm trying really hard to eliminate the computer from my studio. As it is, all I'm using it for is multitracking. Ableton does well with multitracking.