Does Beatport offer the best quality wav ?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

damagedgoods wrote:
steevio wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:ok cool, thanks for your answers :D

Personally I buy MP3, The difference between a WAV is too little for me.
I find that a 24bit WAV as better dynamic than a 320 MP3, but 320 MP3 is really good almost as good than 16bit WAV, Personnaly i don't find any difference when I listen the 2. For some people it's more psychologic, Bigger file, WAV, more expensive, it must be better :lol:

If you record a 12" you will loose all the dynamic and infrabasses from the original record, even if it's WAV 16 bit or 320 MP3. Just 24Bit WAV will be almost as good than the original.

Anyone as an opinion about ?
i disagree, to me there is a very discernable difference between 320 mp3 and 16bit, and virtually no difference between 16 and 24 bit wavs.

the mp3 has been compressed, and i can hear it, although its subtle.

generally i prefer the sound of a 12" vinyl recording to that of a Wav of the same tune, and if i had a choice between DJing a CD or the vinyl of a tune, i'd choose the vinyl every time, unless it was a particularly bad cut or press.
its not all about dynamic range, most of the dynamic range you lose on vinyl is in the inaudible part of the spectrum anyway, and more than compensated for by the analogue warmth and reproduction quality.
i'm curious steevio, can you tell immediately if a track is an MP3 by listening to it on its own, or do you have to compare an MP3 and a WAV side by side to tell the difference?

(sorry if this has been beaten to death already!)
of course to tell the difference between two things you have to compare to them side by side, and like i said the difference is subtle, so i'm sure i wouldnt be able to say with some random music in a club whether it was 320 or wav, but with my own music which i'm intimately familiar with, and a good system i probably could, and i definitely could on decent monitors or hi-fi.

remember that our music isnt only listened to in clubs.

i think the issue for me is that like most musicians, i want my music to be heard in the highest fidelity possible. why use an inferior format just because its a little cheaper. that doesnt compute with me.
and for me, the sooner we move onto a higher resolution standard format the better.
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

I find it strange that people prefer vinyl based on sound, okay its analogue, but how analogue is it ? Computer music are bits and bytes, you record/synthesize/sample digitally as samples (ones and zeros basicly) then you bounce your wav or aiff (wich is digital). You deliver it to the mastering guy who makes it analogue and runs it through his chain to then make it digital again. What is the use of writing an analogue vinyl with digital data ?

I don't see the use of it unless you do your recording, mixdown, mastering on tape (sounds easy in practice but staying analogue all the time is hard)

In my opnion vinyl is a bit overrated (don't get me wrong i love the feel of vinyl).
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

double post
bubbleguuuum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bubbleguuuum »

Digital files can sound as cold or analog (warm) as you want. I my collection they range from ultra cold clinic sounding to very warm to the point you probably coudn't differenciate it from the vinyl. All reside in the mastering (if any) and the intention of the artist (and mastering engineer) for his sound.
There's probably more effort to do proper mastering to what goes on vinyl.

Also when playing digital files a good DAC can make a difference. Don't expect miracles from your integrated laptop soundcard...