D.E.M.F. 2009

- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

livecollective wrote:lineup leaves a lot to be desired thats for sure...
It's not really exciting me.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

people always say the first lineup sucks, just wait a few more weeks, im sure there will be surprises

that said i got my hotel and tickets and cant wait (-)
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

stevësto wrote:

ztrip? bassnectar? bad boy bill? carl cox? wtf?
can we talk about this more? what constitutes DEMF? does it strictly have to be artists from detroit and the music from the area? if it has to be techno or minimal related, i can see you have to draw the line somewhere (cant have prodigy or paul van dyk), but where do you draw the line?

bassnectar is actually pretty damn good.

Actually, I'd rather mostly non-detroit non-minimal djs to be honest.

I think it should be more cutting edge, personally, whatever, who cares. Personal taste.
jtredwings20
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jtredwings20 »

honestly, all i ask is you don't give me any STDs (as I have enough already) - i have a room all weekend long, use your sweatshirt as a pillow, etc. :
"PM" me and we'll work something out as I'm not gonna use both beds...

unless I rent some midgets, then - you're sh*t out of luck

1st come 1st serve

I got an extra bed in my room plus the floor
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

stevësto wrote:

ztrip? bassnectar? bad boy bill? carl cox? wtf?
can we talk about this more? what constitutes DEMF? does it strictly have to be artists from detroit and the music from the area? if it has to be techno or minimal related, i can see you have to draw the line somewhere (cant have prodigy or paul van dyk), but where do you draw the line?

bassnectar is actually pretty damn good.
I believe I saw Prodigy will open the festival.
JNX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JNX »

the next 25 announced:

Al Ester
Anthony Attalla
Anthony Rother - live
Benga
Busy P
Chuck Gibson a.k.a Perception – live
Craig Gonzalez
Delano Smith
Drumcell
Exchange Bureau - live
Glitch Mob - live
Henrik Schwarz, AME and Dixon present: Innervisions Live: a critical mass
Jay Denham
Kevin Reynolds - live
Krazy Baldhead - live
Lusine
Marc “MK” Kinchen & Scotty Deep - live
Mieka du Franx
Mike Clark
Neil Landstrumm - live
Nic Fanciulli
Nikola Baytala
Octave One - live
The Sight Below - live
Will Webb
Nordin
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Nordin »

I would like to see some new school Detroit artists on the roster :o
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Have to say for myself that "DEMF" died many years ago. Truthfully, anybody that believed the original concept behind DEMF would hold up year after year after year isn't being rationale. Sure, you can stick to Detroit artists, and people who influence their music but I don't think it would be able to maintain the large scale effort that they started with in a beginning. It would probably need to be downsized into a 1 or 2 day festival somewhere different than Hart Plaza and possibly with only a couple of stages.

Fast forward to today, where the festival is a small fragment of what it once was. I have attended almost every year and recall many people saying the festival was just something to do past time until the after parties came around. Who played these after parties? The same Detroit and European artists that are headlining the festival in recent years. While internet critics are quick to argue the festival has declined in quality, a lot of people would beg to differ. People get upset about their favorite techno/house DJ sharing the same bill with Carl Cox or Bad Boy Bill, but the reality is you have to take the good with the bad. That's the music industry in a nutshell. All those idiots who pay the $40 fee to see Bad Boy Bill are also paying the for your favorite underground DJ to play, who in return probably draws about 10-15 people out of the wood work. Sure, in the ideal world we all want a prestigious line-up of kick ass talent that playing from open to close but it's not realistic. Lastly, when there is 40,000-80,000 paying attendees, not everybody is going to agree on which artists are quality and which artists are dodgy.

So what does the festival mean for me? To me, it means I'm going to catch 3-4 acts that make it worth spending $500 for a weekend in a disgusting city rather than on a tropical vacation. It also means that I'm going to see so many friends from all over the world in one weekend, all within a few city blocks. It's no longer just about cramming in as many semi-decent musical acts in a day as I can, or having my mind blown by some legendary DJ I've never seen. I get to hang out with friends in Detroit, hear some decent music, and have a good time out doors. If you look at it that way, you can't go wrong. Unless you're anti-social.