The dj question.......

- ask away
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

kristofason wrote:wouldnt that just sound like a sloppy vinyl set?
kind of what i was thinking...
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

ROFL.

I don't take sides in this debate, but I recently retired my laptop and went back to using the CDJ's because there has been none of the promised advantages... of course I was using serato and vinyl control and the only addition I experienced as opposed to vinyl was instability hahaha.

I'd rather not use a computer for music stuff I decided. I do miss the days of vinyl tho... so many things factor in that are now missing: quality control of the music (you really think about what to press up when you are running vinyl), sound quality, and the experience of seeing someone like Mills, May, or Hawtin on vinyl is simply not the same as watching someone on a computer.

Loads of great artists using computers mind you, but its just not the same in the audience.

Now what I really hope is that this starts a gear rebellion and we see more livePA's happening. I personally won't use a computer for that but I wouldn't mind if people did in conjunction with a drum machine or something ala Saytek.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

victorjohn wrote:Now what I really hope is that this starts a gear rebellion and we see more livePA's happening. I personally won't use a computer for that but I wouldn't mind if people did in conjunction with a drum machine or something ala Saytek.
A few fellow producers and I started jamming last year. At a glance it looks like we do a similar thing to Saytek (I hadn't heard of him before). We use a 909, MD, x0xb0x, effects and a laptop (soon to add a hardware sampler too, hopefully) to do improvised sets. It's really fun!

We multi-track record our jams and it's a nice change to be able to take the best bits from the sets and pretty much have a complete track. The hard work is then done in edits / remixing rather than the composition stage, but it's a very effective way to get ideas down and you all know when you've got something good going.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

victorjohn wrote:Now what I really hope is that this starts a gear rebellion and we see more livePA's happening. I personally won't use a computer for that but I wouldn't mind if people did in conjunction with a drum machine or something ala Saytek.
yes please! 8)
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

not exactly...I'm not really talking about trainwrecking every mix with a laptop to prove you're not faking it...

so maybe this is just the way I listen to music but...

For me a good expressive dj set is where I can hear the human reactions and interactions to the tracks they're playing. of course this can be done with vinyl/cds/laptop/whatever format. my approach to doing this with software like ableton, is to introduce unexpected elements into the live mix and let the listener be in on the whole experience of hearing that reaction, improvisation, imperfection.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

omnipresence wrote:
A few fellow producers and I started jamming last year. At a glance it looks like we do a similar thing to Saytek (I hadn't heard of him before). We use a 909, MD, x0xb0x, effects and a laptop (soon to add a hardware sampler too, hopefully) to do improvised sets. It's really fun!

We multi-track record our jams and it's a nice change to be able to take the best bits from the sets and pretty much have a complete track. The hard work is then done in edits / remixing rather than the composition stage, but it's a very effective way to get ideas down and you all know when you've got something good going.
Thats similar to what I am doing right now, but just in the studio. I use MD, MnM, 303, and soon to be a korg ESX. Its really such a great way to make music.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

Absolutely. Completely different to how I usually work solo. Has it's limitations but it frees you up in many regards.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Audio Dependent wrote:
yes please! 8)
+1. this is the next step
freeeeeee