re: Johnny D's tracks... and other things

- ask away
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

4am wrote:
pheek wrote:haha oh you guys got curious! Well soon... I'm just nervous about these :?
i would also like to listen!
If you spent all that time developing just a kick, im sure the rest will sound amazing.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

The stuff I've heard on soundcloud is wicked Pheek, like Mateo, I was a little surprised when I heard the newer material and thought - gadds, where are all the lovely textures and sounds, what's this all about , it's much more moody and stark.

At first I didn't care for it, but I've been playing on some nice soundsystems of late and the simpler stuff has mostly been the stuff that's worked out best, I haven't tried any of your new stuff (I keep neglecting my dropbox) but It would fit very well with some of the stuff I've been playing out of late.

Stuff like Marcell Detmann - Plain and wax 10001 are 2 examples of tracks that really have that nailed, on first listen you'd be forgiven for consigning to the sin bin, but they really come alive in a club.

It's just a question of making each sound stand out on it's own, it's the true essence of minimal as far as I'm concerned, last year and previous , I found as much as I wanted to support a lot of the minimal gear and a lot of the netlabel gear around that people were going too far with big builds, vocals, gimmiks etc in their tracks and I'd often end up barely playing loops of some tracks to avoid the 'cheesy' bits.

So it's been good to see some corners (generally the one's that had it right in the first place I must add) continue to push that ideal.

I think a lot of people forget that whilst innovation and pushing forward are great, it's not always big massive leaps or radical change that's required.

Techno in particular has always been DJ orientated, and I think it's healthy to remember that often, DJ tools that are simple, but really well crafted in terms of production are often more desireable than records with all the bells and whistles that can't punch a hole in a club system.

It might not make for interesting bits of music to listen to , but in the overall picture, it makes for much better tools for DJs to be able to make an overall piece with.

I got a bit dissalusioned with some peoples responses to tracks last year where I was going really DJ orientated, the tracks hold up well on a system and mixed together - come into their own as there's plenty of space for the tracks to function, but a few labels response was - that's too 'tracky' it's too DJ orientated, it's too linear.

I kinda thought - well stuff it, If I agreed with you then I'd never listen to another regis/studio 1/lost/cosmic record again !

It takes balls to make tracks like that, knowing full well people won't get them until they hear em in a mix, but that's what techno and whatnot are all about !
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

yacek wrote:damn... this thread has really made me rethink my production techniques... you're right! it's about dancing, lol. Fuckk it, im gonna pump up da volume, have a beer (not get too typsy though, just one hehe) and try and drop some shitt to dance! ...easy said, harder done i guess, but w/e. im already feelin better.
Yeh man turn it up! I think - dont try to hard to make something dancable. Just play around with sounds until you start dancing yourself. Close your eyes and imagine the track progessing into something that would excite you. Then make it happen. I think all the clever production techniques come afterwards when your getting your baby ready to release to the world :)
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

AVX23 wrote:It takes balls to make tracks like that, knowing full well people won't get them until they hear em in a mix, but that's what techno and whatnot are all about !
Agree 100 %

Radio Slave said something along those lines recently; that his tracks are made for sound systems, not living rooms.
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

soapz wrote:
yacek wrote:damn... this thread has really made me rethink my production techniques... you're right! it's about dancing, lol. Fuckk it, im gonna pump up da volume, have a beer (not get too typsy though, just one hehe) and try and drop some shitt to dance! ...easy said, harder done i guess, but w/e. im already feelin better.
Yeh man turn it up! I think - dont try to hard to make something dancable. Just play around with sounds until you start dancing yourself. Close your eyes and imagine the track progessing into something that would excite you. Then make it happen. I think all the clever production techniques come afterwards when your getting your baby ready to release to the world :)
i always do dat... well for da most part. but it hit me in da head that Electronic Dance Music is to make people DANCE, not sing along to and listen... lol
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

hey everyone, thanks for your comments! Always a pleasure to read you all. I'd have much to add or comment. Will try to do when i have time!
alutza
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alutza »

The Giggles track is really good. I'm liking the new direction in which your music is going.