- wax
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:
dsat wrote:dude, i will quote myself again to make things a bit clear for you:
"it's a bland take on what people call deep house these days"

and i stress "what people call..." get it?

of course this has nothing with deep house, just as so many other things that are called deep house or even tech house for that matter while they're just another minimal release.
this I can agree with you on. The whole deep house trend followed by the deep house hating is fabricated by a bunch of uneducated music fans who just put shallow labels on things.

"Well, it's kind of housey. It sort of has that 1996 west coast USA vibe. Uh...and it's deep. So it's a deep house revival!" No, it's fucking not. Johnny D is ripping off the 90s deep house. The rest of the people are making congo bongo party techno 10-15bpm slower than it was during the latin techno invasion in 2001.

Just like the whole minimal backlash. There is nothing minimal about any of the music, but the miniscule sounds lend itself to the title, when the music is probably more complex than say, most drumcode or planet rhythm loop records.

Sorry for ranting. Just annoys me.
no ranting, i agree with you of course on the whole deep house thing
and this is only the beginning...
and well, i'm not a marco carola fan, so i guess i don't have all the facts like you said, one can't know everything
it so happened that i got a bunch promos today which were so-called deep house but were nothing else than bland slowed down minimal.
so this may have fueled my reaction here :-) sry
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:One of my friends thought it was an old SLS record on Cycle the first time he heard it.
he should get an award for that, because this release (vinyl tracks) doesn't sound like any of the old cycle releases at all. imo it can almost be considered an insult to sls and cycle for even 'comparing' them.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

vermi wrote:
Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:One of my friends thought it was an old SLS record on Cycle the first time he heard it.
he should get an award for that, because this release (vinyl tracks) doesn't sound like any of the old cycle releases at all. imo it can almost be considered an insult to sls and cycle for even 'comparing' them.

haha, touche. In fairness, the 1st minute or 2 of Bloody Cash sounds a bit SLSish with the samba loops going on, but once the synth stabs come in it sounds like classic carola sound.
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

vermi wrote:

haha, touche. In fairness, the 1st minute or 2 of Bloody Cash sounds a bit SLSish with the samba loops going on, but once the synth stabs come in it sounds like classic carola sound.
agree on the synth part, although i find the melody in this track a lot more "cheesier" than in carola's older tracks (the question releases i.e.). 8)
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

not the type of release why i love plus 8 since back in the days!
nihad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nihad »

good party tunes, nothing groundbreaking, but still better than the previous carola-stuff on +8 imo
Jermack
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jermack »

dsat wrote:
dsat wrote:dude, i will quote myself again to make things a bit clear for you:
"it's a bland take on what people call deep house these days"

and i stress "what people call..." get it?

of course this has nothing with deep house, just as so many other things that are called deep house or even tech house for that matter while they're just another minimal release.
this I can agree with you on. The whole deep house trend followed by the deep house hating is fabricated by a bunch of uneducated music fans who just put shallow labels on things.

"Well, it's kind of housey. It sort of has that 1996 west coast USA vibe. Uh...and it's deep. So it's a deep house revival!" No, it's fucking not. Johnny D is ripping off the 90s deep house. The rest of the people are making congo bongo party techno 10-15bpm slower than it was during the latin techno invasion in 2001.

Just like the whole minimal backlash. There is nothing minimal about any of the music, but the miniscule sounds lend itself to the title, when the music is probably more complex than say, most drumcode or planet rhythm loop records.

Sorry for ranting. Just annoys me.
no ranting, i agree with you of course on the whole deep house thing
and this is only the beginning...
and well, i'm not a marco carola fan, so i guess i don't have all the facts like you said, one can't know everything
it so happened that i got a bunch promos today which were so-called deep house but were nothing else than bland slowed down minimal.
so this may have fueled my reaction here :-) sry
It's funny cause I've been thinking a lot lately what's getting called Deep House especially the Dive and Curly type stuff is rather mechanical... The sound is a punchy two-step not unlike much of Carola's plus 8 material, except for all the organic sounds in deep house (congos, piano, etc...) the two sounds have a lot in common...