Why do you like minimal music?

- ask away
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Why do you like minimal music?

Post by xxmmxx »

ok, i'll get this started.. personally i can't explain why i like it.... 2 years ago I wasn't into it at all.. and now I can't get enough... i think for me it's a combination of "well it's in right now" and "wow these sounds are cool"

I have no idea why I found 808 sounds dorky and puny a few years back and now I love them to bits. I also have no idea why I have a fondness for clicks and pops. I can't even say they bring out emotion in me because they don't, minimal music is not exactly renowned for emotional content. I suppose what got me into minimal is the fact that i was sick of trance, and sick of house, and really REALLY sick of electro.. especially the in your face obnoxious annoying type of electro... then i discovered the pure cool athmospheric sounds of minimal.. not to mention the swing/groove of some tracks and that got me hooked...

I especially like listening to minimal while I'm driving late at night, it seems to fit really well...
Smear
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Smear »

It's a different kind of emotional content, it's another step away from music as storytelling and(when it's done right, in my opinion anyway) appeals less to states you can put a label on such as happiness, anxiety etc.

I've never really liked music where a song stands or falls by how I personally relate to what's being expressed. I much prefer being excited and/or confused in that respect. I always felt that if a piece of music is expressing you something you already consciously understand, then I find it difficult to take much pleasure from it.

I saw an interview with a TV writer last week and he said(I'm sure Hitchcock or someone said it before him too), "I'd rather be confused for an hour than bored for 5 minutes", and for me that's true of music.

Having a fairly simple and generic structure where a track will pretty much end how it started, is pretty much a blank canvas for exploring all kinds of possibilities, in the same way the Mandelbrot set comes from a relatively small piece of information.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

because it is the only form of electronic music that my dentist allows me :green:

ok, no it is because of the interesting sound design and rhythms!
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

After 5 yaer I've been into dnb, I've ended up listening to most hard dnb you can imagine, and techno influenced dnb. But I was curious about how does techno sound today, cos i was listening to it when I was younger. To say the truth, minimal did not tingle me at all, but some harder stuff like older Takaaki Itoh, Surgeon, Dean Rodell, some slovakian producers etc. My opinion on minimal has changed after listening to 2 mixes: one was Dubfire's essential mix and second was Advent live @ Apokalypsa. Those two sounded just awesome. And then someone on abletonlivedj.com put up link on here.

Then I've came here. Strange people were talking about strange stuff. Then someone came to me and said "Click on this". So I clicked, and said "What is this" and he said "Netlabels". And then somebody told me "Take a look here" so I clicked there. I said "What is this??" and he said "Production forum". And then I've clicked on General chat, and then on Artists, and then on Interviews, anthen I watched 15 videos from Videos section.

15 VIDEOS FROM VIDEOS SECTION!!

and I stayed until monday nigh.... ehm... just stayed :)
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Why do you like minimal music?

Post by dubgil »

xxmmxx wrote:ok, i'll get this started.. personally i can't explain why i like it.... 2 years ago I wasn't into it at all.. and now I can't get enough... i think for me it's a combination of "well it's in right now" and "wow these sounds are cool"

I have no idea why I found 808 sounds dorky and puny a few years back and now I love them to bits. I also have no idea why I have a fondness for clicks and pops. I can't even say they bring out emotion in me because they don't, minimal music is not exactly renowned for emotional content. I suppose what got me into minimal is the fact that i was sick of trance, and sick of house, and really REALLY sick of electro.. especially the in your face obnoxious annoying type of electro... then i discovered the pure cool athmospheric sounds of minimal.. not to mention the swing/groove of some tracks and that got me hooked...

I especially like listening to minimal while I'm driving late at night, it seems to fit really well...
I could never be sick of Electro, but then something happened in the genre naming crap when Electro (Biochip C/Dynamix II) suddenly became electroClash and now is Electrohouse (crap). I dunno how this happened, but the pure electro like Aux 88 and the like will always be in my soul as will pure minimal like the Dave Clark stuff, not the minus stuff.

I don't wanna start a flamewar, but the blending of genre names makes it hard for me to appreciate and embrace the new. If they had better names or something I could probably embrace it more. Don't get me wrong, I like the new stuff too, but there's a lot of crap out there too!

I guess i'm just an old fart who came out of the the early 90's sound and struggles to embrace the new stuff.

BUT I WILL ALWAYS LOVE MINIMAL (even if I have to stop at the Basic Channel, Maurizio stuff) It just takes my stress of my mind - it's therapeutic!
The Geel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by The Geel »

Sphere42 wrote:
Then I've came here. Strange people were talking about strange stuff. Then someone came to me and said "Click on this". So I clicked, and said "What is this" and he said "Netlabels". And then somebody told me "Take a look here" so I clicked there. I said "What is this??" and he said "Production forum". And then I've clicked on General chat, and then on Artists, and then on Interviews, anthen I watched 15 videos from Videos section.

15 VIDEOS FROM VIDEOS SECTION!!

and I stayed until monday nigh.... ehm... just stayed :)
LOL :D

This is partly the reason im into minimal. I went to quite a few acid techno parties in london in the 90's but kinda grew out of the harder sound (i still listen occasionally tho :) ). Minimal is everything i like in music these days. I can have it playing in the background or I can get totally zoned in to it. I can dance to it or be drawn in emotionally. The harder acid techno had its 'place' where as minimal works in ALL places (imo).
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

(some) minimal = pure groove
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:(some) minimal = pure groove
+1

:P