Live acts using Reason

- ask away
alexx.wolfe
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by alexx.wolfe »

ok..this will maybe sound like I dont know a thing about music producing x)

and sorry about the ignorance again, but what is a rack? well I know what a rack is..but not understanding how to put the tracks there...

thinking about what you said it all made sense and thank you for the advices :D the saving presets idea was a simple but clever one eheh ^^
Last edited by alexx.wolfe on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexx.wolfe
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by alexx.wolfe »

by the way...any reason users here?
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Id just get Live, its allot more flexible than reason; youll like it.

Im sure there are a number of "former" reason users on here though
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

Yeah I used to use Reason as my main sequenser, now im rewiring it with live.

I don't think it's really possible to play a live set with only one computer and reason, you just can't put all of your tracks in one reason file and play it.

But you might be able to take 2 computers, install reason and live on them, rewire reason with live and then synchronize the both "live-computers" on each other. Like with midi over lan or something, you know what im saying?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

alexx.wolfe wrote:by the way...any reason users here?
yes.

And there are many ways to do live soley with reason. I mean seriously... just get creative.

you could do two laptops, with different controllers and sync them up. you could do a reason rack + external drum machine and load up different reason tracks to compliment the drum machine. you could build an entire live pa in reason, and control the parts by changing patches with combinator presets and mute/unmute sequence loops in the midi editor . . you could also just have breaks between your tracks and play them one by one. i mean... just get creative use your imagination. Try connecting a couple ideas together. Think about it on paper, what you want to do, how you want to manipulate your songs. Do some mindmapping or brainstorming( http://www.mindjet.com or http://www.mind42.com/). . Seriously you've got all these resources at your fingertips... when i started all i had was my mind + fast tracker and still managed to figure out ways to do basic live sets. :D :D :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

alexx.wolfe wrote:I mean...I want to play the songs that I have already made... and play with them and add new things live
thats a good start for your mind map.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah you can do livesets with Reason. You have the Redrum which has loads of channels to do different patterns, plus the Matrix which gives the same option. Reason is a cool tool, but for live stuff I would stick with Ableton as it just gives you a few more options.

You wont really be able to play the tracks you have already made in Reason, well... you could but its not got a great audio support so if I were you I would go for Ableton.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

A Guy Called Gerald play live with two laptops with reason and a DJ mixer.

I don't know how it exactly works, but i assume he's syncing the two laptops via midi and then has a channel on the DJ mixer for each laptop output. This and intelligent use of combinators in Reason should get you somewhere.