432 Hz

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i once worked out that with a root note of C-2 you get 122.625 BPM, and C# was 129.9 BPM, but that was in 440 tuning.
you could get really geeky with this sht.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

its actually common music theory, a detuned sound will sound more relaxed , and a tuned up sound will be more stiff/bright/
luminous
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luminous »

oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:i once worked out that with a root note of C-2 you get 122.625 BPM, and C# was 129.9 BPM, but that was in 440 tuning.
you could get really geeky with this sht.
oop. maybe my maths was fucked up. I'll look into it cos I think it's worth doing.

once you're found a root freqeuncy and tempo that you're happy with you don't need to think about the geeky part so much. everything will fit (even with other peoples tunes (well not discounting differences with scales etc of course)) and you can put the calculator away.
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nospin »

Lord_Iron wrote: What I mean is when you tune your synth in A432 is that you don´t change the key, you actually will be in between 2 keys so when yo play a C note it will be in between B and C, so out of tune if you try to mix it with other instruments tuned in A440.
I am not a DJ myself and I don´t know how accurate can you be with the turntables. Can you, for instance, make micro-tonal steps when you change the speed? I think that would be the only way to get in tune with other tracks, because is not a matter to match the tonality but to match the tuning like when you tune the string of a guitar...
if i make a track with A at 440 at 128bpm, and you make a track with A at 440 at 125 BPM, and a dj mixes those two records, he will use the pitch (and speed are the same thing on turntables) adjustment to match the tempos.

now one of our tracks will have been slightly increased or slightly decreased, and be out of tune with the other. a lot of times, in techno (and other beat music), this doesnt matter when mixing, as its mostly percussive, and not tonal when mixing.

sometimes you will hear a bass line from one track and a pad or synth from the other are out of tune and it sounds unfortunate, but it wont last long.

or course with ableton, its another story... you can change the tempo and pitch together like on a turntable, or you can change the tempo to match, and independently change the tuning to match... i dont know if this is worth the time for all genres... but its possible, as long as they are relatively close (you can get weird artifacts with really big tempo or pitch differences)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

yeah there are plenty of other threads that discuss tempo / key related issues when DJing, its not really relevant to this topic.

i just wondered what the effect would be if everyone was writing tunes in a tuning which was harmoniously and mathematically related to the universe, rather than an arbitary one decided on by church/nazis/violin businesses or whatever the truth is.

theres no escaping the fact that music is mathematical like absolutely everything else of beauty in the world.

the question is for me what are the facts behind the 432 number, and what is New Age myth. more investigation required !
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

more interesting info here;

http://www.schillerinstitute.org/music/ ... ower_pitch

if you need convincing just get a calculator and start experiment with dividing up 432 with different primes.

it makes mathematical sense that you will get better harmonics.

its 432 for me from now on.
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

Great topic. I was not aware of this at all, but i think it sounds like a hard job, tuning all your synths to work with the A4 frequency, but i'll give it a go