432 Hz

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Opuswerk wrote:Might be a silly question,
But doesn't the pitching of djs change the actual tuning? like if a dj added a few % then the A would be hitting a tad higher right ?
So tuning @ 432 just makes sense when the songs is gonna be played at the exact tempo it was made at right?
totally.
i'm thinking more about the live situation, or mixing your own tracks ( i write my tracks so they can be mixed together and always mix at 0 if i can)
but also its about the effect it has on you as a musician as you are writing the tune.
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nospin »

Opuswerk wrote:Might be a silly question,
But doesn't the pitching of djs change the actual tuning? like if a dj added a few % then the A would be hitting a tad higher right ?
So tuning @ 432 just makes sense when the songs is gonna be played at the exact tempo it was made at right?
yes, but perhaps working on the track in that tuning will put you in some sort of cosmically enlightened state, that will dramatically increase your creativity and the quality of your track, and that increased peacefulness will remain intact regardless of what tempo the dj plays it at...

jk
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

with the frequency and tempo thing you can tune your tracks root note to the tempo, and so if you have 2 tracks tuned in this way, as long as they are in tempo they will line up in pitch exactly.

it's weird with the dj thing. I'm releasing a track in the next couple of days that is only really useful as a dj tool (40 minutes of not much in the way of changes), but is tuned to a frequency that nobody else uses (126.22). maybe one day some weird fucker like me will do it too, but at the moment the poor track is gonna flap around rubbishly for a while. heheh.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

From what I know, A4 was changed multiple times throughout history and ranged from lower 400's up to mid 400's. The issue was (if memory serves correct) that many composers and instrument makers were using different tunings and no one stuck with any one global tuning.

I think this stems mainly from violins and violinists. If you raise the pitch of a violin it will sound brighter. So violin makers would constantly try to one-up the competition by raising their pitch. Basically a war between makers. Well, back in the days of operas and the like, violins and other instruments were accompanied by singers and what happened was the singers just could not keep up with the higher and higher pitched violins. So a consortium of sorts (sorry, forget the name) agreed upon the universal pitch of 440hz equaling A4.

And that's how we ended up on 440hz.

Whether or not it was a Nazi conspiracy is obviously up for debate. Possible, yes. Plausible, don't think so.

If you're going to entertain this Nazi conspiracy, might as well throw in eugenicists controlling the entire science/health world (Nazi's employed eugenics professionals and scattered them into all facets of life) or Zionists controlling the entire world's financial system.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

more stuff here;
http://www.432hz.net

you can even get a 432hz t-shirt :lol:
luminous
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luminous »

another great topic

few days ago i've watched "esoteric agenda" movie on youtube for the first time (sorry,if it was already mentioned around here) and not getting into the other issues now,i found the last two parts (12 &13) extremely interesting for everybody openminded and dealing with music/freq etc.

there is this solfeggio tuning (mentioned at 4:14 in the 13th part) which 'can'
do miracles according to what they say,but i don't quite get it since there are only 6 steps (first one = 396) in it and standard doubling the freq of a root note to made one octave higher don't work too..the sixth step is 852 (?)

anyway i'm getting more and more excited to get around my synth

@ oblio: when your track will be "out" please let me/us know, i'm corious :)
Lord_Iron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lord_Iron »

nospin wrote:
Lord_Iron wrote:The problem I think it is that if you try to mix a track tuned in 440 with another tuned in 432 is not going to sound very good, or at least is going to be much difficult to mix one with the other, specially the basses and the chords. To me is like if I tune my guitar in 432 and I try to jam with other musicians that play in 440...it would be a mess. But of course if you are not making tracks for DJ´s to play in clubs or wherever then is ok ;)
dj's mix records at different tempos...so theyre often increasing of decreasing the pitch anyway... i think its rare for a dj to only mix tunes in the same key and tuning... especially in techno
What I mean is when you tune your synth in A432 is that you don´t change the key, you actually will be in between 2 keys so when yo play a C note it will be in between B and C, so out of tune if you try to mix it with other instruments tuned in A440.
I am not a DJ myself and I don´t know how accurate can you be with the turntables. Can you, for instance, make micro-tonal steps when you change the speed? I think that would be the only way to get in tune with other tracks, because is not a matter to match the tonality but to match the tuning like when you tune the string of a guitar...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

luminous wrote: @ oblio: when your track will be "out" please let me/us know, i'm corious :)
friday from netlabel www.enypnion.org

thanks for the interest!

In theory it should line up in pitch with my other track on that label as long as you beatmatch them with repitch mode in ableton (or equivalent).

Sorry, hijacking this thread a bit. To get back on track, there is definitely a way for djs to get tracks to work together even if the tempo changes.

If you tune the root frequency of the track to the tempo, it means that all tracks tuned in this way should line up together.

Here's what I wrote a little while ago about it:

I only half understand the formula and theory, and explaining it is gonna be tricky, but anyway...

Basically, the formula:

bpm x quantize/60=freq in hertz

and the other way round is

freq in hz x 60/quantize = bpm

The part which I don't understand is 'quantize'... i guess it's related to note length. I just multiply by 2 until I'm at an audible/danceable destination.

An example, you want the root of your track at 432 hz. The bpm harmonic to it is....

bpm = freq in hz x 60/quantize

bpm = 432 *60/16

bpm = 432 * 3.75

bpm = 1620

errr. confusing part here... but if you divide by 2 a couple of times you get 101.25 bpm, which is 'right' according to the guy who I borrowed this equation from (I couldn't tell you why myself though!).

So in theory if everyone follows this formula, it won't matter what we tune our root notes to. As long as we chose a tempo that we like and use turntables or 'repitch' mode in Ableton (or the equivalent) all will be gravy.

Hooray!

(I'm not in a place to sort all my maths out, but once I am I will post a bit more, and give a tempo and root note that is good for techno and fits in with these natural frequencies.)
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.