The American Scene

- open
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

so who is to blame for the "scenelessness" in the US? The clubs, the promoters..cant be the artists because they rock.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

Celltek wrote:so who is to blame for the "scenelessness" in the US? The clubs, the promoters..cant be the artists because they rock.
scenelessness? just because its not going on everywhere doesn't mean there aren't scenes. Its a big country remember and things happen to be more spread out. But, compared to Europe with big parties, no there isn't as much and never really has been. The USA does things differently today... Mega clubs and monster festivals not as much, but no doubt that effects a lot of the production in Europe right now being played at the big party. When our producers start making big tracks, and typically they sound big you guys buy them up which is totally cool. Just like in 86 when all the house guys came over, early 90s when techno arrived, and then again recently when minimal got scooped up. All that comes from our scene minus a few quality heavily influenced by what started the Americas (north, central and south). Not trying to argue who starts what or who is better at what but it just isn't "big" here.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Celltek wrote:so who is to blame for the "scenelessness" in the US? The clubs, the promoters..cant be the artists because they rock.
all of the above, plus the govt.

Just like in europe, the US had some sketchy rave promoters in its bigger scenes. You can only steal from the crowds enough times before people get turned off.

Alcohol, and even dancing, is more taboo in american culture, so opening a space takes a bit more work. As alcohol is restricted to patrons above 21, it is difficult for promoters to pay for venue rental and the taboo topic of drugs comes up when wondering why so many people might want to party. As club owners know how difficult it is to open a space, it is easy for them to hold the power over promoters, making it a challenge for promoters to sustain the parties or inviting the idea of one off events which either lose a ton of money or make too much for a few.

Many artists tried to charge too much money. Whether they were european artists used to festival money or american artists riding the luck of being at the right place at hte right time, names that would interest people to come out were often too expensive to book.

Then the gov't cames in. Early closing times, draconian drug war (thank joe biden for the rave act), and basic vilification of electronic music really took the sails out of what started in detroti, new york, and chicago.

While electronic music took hold as a legitimate form of music in europe, country music and rap music took over the states. Having moved to europe from the states, i find that the cultures here encourage dancing and being social in a way americans have a difficulty grasping.

America is indeed a big place. The lower 48 states are bigger than all of europe combined, but whereas one will commonly find parties and clubs in smaller european cities, the same is not true across the pond.
freeeeeee
robitaille
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by robitaille »

There is alot of talent based in indianapolis: Shiva, Adam Jay, and Ben Wu for instance.

After years and years of being involved as a techno & electro promoter and dj, St. Louis is once again seeing a resurgence of interest in techno. The Alphahouse cats have been keeping it going steadily for about the same time.
trak660 wrote:I live in Indiana. The only city in my state that still cares about good electronic music is probably Ft. Wayne, but it's a long drive from Evansville, where I reside. :( I attended Second Saturday up there once last year when my friend was spinning, and it reminded me so much of how my local scene used to be, before it went downhill.

There are a couple of "rave" promoter in my town, but I don 't consider pop music loops played off of a computer to be techno. :lol:

By the way, I am a house/techno DJ of 12 years. I have everything for a small event but lights. If anyone in the Midwest is interested, my system fits in a station wagon. I'm going crazy from not getting to spin as much as I used to, so if you are into good music, let's do something! :D

my myspace address is:
http://www.myspace.com/djtonysolo
This is the easiest way to contact me right now.
Dan Robitaille
UnitOvOne RecordingsINNERPLANE
Saint Louis MO USA
moey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by moey »

I like how things are underground in the US. It means that people who make it out want to be there--not just that they are looking for something to do on a Saturday night.

Also, you can see some incredible edm talent and not have it be crowded.
A lot of Europeans would kill to be hearing some of the artists we get to experience with only 100-200 people in a small dark room.
And we have Detroit, so game over. 8)
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

tinman-if i only had a brain ( toto remix)
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

Crack house laws, if any drugs were found in a club, the Property could be seized by the police / atf under the premise it was an operating "crack house"

Rave act made than 10 people assembled listening to amplified music, illegal

and Giuliani's cabaret license in NYC that clubs couldn't allow dancing (patrons, not exotic) without a cabaret license.

The radio never really supported electronic music like it does else where in the world. I had some great memories playing techno on the radio across my city, but those days are gone.

other stuff like people growing up, I remember when I was in the new school about 13 years ago, the old school disapeared, now I feel like the old school, it rare to see any noobies out any more. esp since its not played on the radio or any other teen outlets here in the states
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Chicago is still poppin. maybe not the 1000+ type events anymore but theres still quite a bit going on any given weekend.