Minimal theory

- ask away
Sonny-
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Sonny- »

you have many options to make a groove in your track, u can edit the drums & chords & stabs tom make it sound funky or you can make a sweepy grooove bassline that gives ure track that funky feel.

if i want to make a groovy bassline i always just start from a single chord with some percs, funky drums that i have in my library and i start editing the envelopes & waves in the oscillators layering more than 1 sine waves over each other and them keep hearing till you get that groove.
luminous
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luminous »

it would be much greater topic if we'll add minimal thoery of tonal/harmonics,scenario building with them/tricks etc etc,
i mean these knowledge that comes from minimal music pioneers like reich,riley,la monte young,glass...i still find that most challenging and fun giving (and hard..) part of creating minimal music is notes and their story

good exercise to this is trying to make composition only for piano,work with repetitions of small motifs and getting to know ways that can move the whole structure forward (without using filters/verbs/fx and beats, just notes )

and maybe anyone knows really good article with analysis of classic minimal music or sth like that?
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Ive set up markers like "verse 1", "drop 1" "chorus 1" etc., i then copy my idea across the whole track, and edit from there....
I've had to start doing this too, or else I focus too much on the synth sounds. I also started writing the songs using synth presets, and then changing them around when the music writing portion is all done. Otherwise, I just tweak knobs all day and nothing gets finished.
less is more

Post by less is more »

luminous wrote:it would be much greater topic if we'll add minimal thoery of tonal/harmonics,scenario building with them/tricks etc etc,
i mean these knowledge that comes from minimal music pioneers like reich,riley,la monte young,glass...i still find that most challenging and fun giving (and hard..) part of creating minimal music is notes and their story

good exercise to this is trying to make composition only for piano,work with repetitions of small motifs and getting to know ways that can move the whole structure forward (without using filters/verbs/fx and beats, just notes )

and maybe anyone knows really good article with analysis of classic minimal music or sth like that?
+1

i would like to see a sticky topic saying about the basic steps of creating minimal sound...having examples,tips,tricks etc...

then taking these examples and practising on them and posting our new improvisation on them...
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

less is more wrote:
luminous wrote:it would be much greater topic if we'll add minimal thoery of tonal/harmonics,scenario building with them/tricks etc etc,

+1

i would like to see a sticky topic saying about the basic steps of creating minimal sound...having examples,tips,tricks etc...

then taking these examples and practising on them and posting our new improvisation on them...
+2 - it would make it allot easier to get info
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

+1
less is more wrote:+1 i would like to see a sticky topic saying about the basic steps of creating minimal sound...having examples,tips,tricks etc...

Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
less is more

Post by less is more »

Robot Criminal wrote:

+1
less is more wrote:+1 i would like to see a sticky topic saying about the basic steps of creating minimal sound...having examples,tips,tricks etc...

-1? :( :( :(
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

less is more wrote:
Robot Criminal wrote:

+1

-1? :( :( :(

minus one

this music is about subtraction

and reduction

removing all but the most basic and skeletal elements

I think he was making a joke ;) or maybe he didnt want a sticky topic ?
Last edited by Android on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.