adelaideperson
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by adelaideperson »

stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

Castronova wrote:I mix this stuff all the time and was going to use it for a chilled out event tonight of artists/musicians meeting each other. I guess my take on it is more neo-psychedelia dance stuff than disco, but who cares about the labels.

Some other artists I'd recommend... Some of these may be extremely obvious, but then I'm not sure how much you guys venture outside mnml/techno/house/etc.

- Cosmo Vitelli
Cool psychedelic influences.
http://www.myspace.com/cosmovitelli

- Zombi
Kind of progressive rock with a huge techno influence. Check the song Sapphire here:
(http://www.myspace.com/zombi)

- Antony & The Johnsons
Not dance at all -- weird folk stuff, but Antony is the one responsible for that "gay voice" in Hercules & Love Affair. Get ready for more shock...
(http://www.myspace.com/antonyandthejohnsons)

- LCD Soundsystem
Obvious one. Very hit or miss (usually miss for me), but the DFA label is a big proponent of this retro + techno sound. Met James Murphy at a gig in Osaka and he was really cool -- an MMA fighter too! Ignore the "Daft Punk is Playing at My House" trash, go for the remixes and an album called "45:33", which is all atmospheric, instrumental dance stuff composed for a Nike "workout track"(!?). Dunno who'd workout to it besides hipsters and maybe the aforementioned Antony...

- Prins Thomas
Very cool DJ mixes that flow through rare 70s/80s to modern stuff.

- Lindstrom
Also obvious, but he has a new album out that supposed to be similar. Older stuff is good, and he works with Prins Thomas sometimes.

- Silver Apples
These guys actually put out their first album in 1968 but nobody heard of them til the 90's. The first time I heard this I couldn't believe it wasn't from 2000 or after, much less 19fucking68! I'm recommending them because I frequently mix their old albums in with the above stuff.

- Black Devil Disco Club
Exact same thing as Silver Apples. They put out an album about 30 years ago, it resurfaced and got them popular, and nobody believed the album was actually 30 years old because it sounds so modern. They've recorded two albums since resurfacing.

Check the Gomma record label too... Munk and all that.

Hercules & Love Affair are still kind of in a league of their own as far as any kind of revival of this sound is concerned though. I'd mostly play old, psyched out disco tracks that fit the profile -- if you want more recommendations of that kind of older stuff after this, just ask.
sorry for taking so long to reply. i just now got around to checking out your recommendations and want you to know it is much appreciated so thank you so much for taking the time to list those. so far i only like 2 tracks from cosmo vitelli ("converted" and one other one) and i feel space by lindstrom is the only one i like so far by him. im still making my way through the list.
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

I hope I'm not off topic... Try to listen to

Trus'me
http://www.discogs.com/release/1241774

Dominique Leone
http://www.discogs.com/release/1167740
(esp. the Clairevoyage Medley!)
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
nathan_fr
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nathan_fr »

some of lindstrom stuff are cool.

Otherwise, Magda often melt minimal tracks and nu disco's in her dj set.

edit: Eskimo label is really cool too.
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

i dont mind listening to it on my ipod or in my house to chill to, but not on a night out...
moey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by moey »

I love the old classics from the funk and disco pioneers and I wish more of these young dj's would learn the history of electronic music so they wouldn't need to invent the wheel constantly. Yes, I know I sound old ;)

I was at a techno party and the dj dropped Charlie- 'Spacer Woman' and many people were asking what is this amazing tune!? but it is really one of the most known and obvious italo classics ever, a great track--25 years old and nobody knew it!

Not finding fault with anyone, but if this nu-disco stuff can lead more techno people back to the old disco classics then I think it would enrich the scene a lot.

I'm really into the stuff Pilooski is doing, also My Cousin Roy, the Wurst Edits, DJ Harvey. The DFA camp doesn't appeal to me as much but it's good too.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

wow, some very nice stuff posted here! thanks for the recommandations!
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

what the point add NU to every stuff? neo trance , nu rave , nu disco , nu sh!t... well the journalists always need to create new genres , even if there's only ten person actually doing that type of music. Nu disco sh!t isn't a genre and has nothing new, oh yes , their is that clap sound and a rim shot ... bull crap...