The end of this hype ?

- ask away
kpelaez
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kpelaez »

music is music... it comes and goes.. trends come and go... enjoy it while its here and stop bitching because its old to YOUR ears and let the newcomers enjoy what it is (or whats left) of whatever genre people seem to bitch out.

enjoy it. stop bitching. my two cents.
kpelaez
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kpelaez »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Minimal died when it became a genre, not an approach....
and cheers on this one.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

kpelaez wrote:music is music... it comes and goes.. trends come and go... enjoy it while its here and stop bitching because its old to YOUR ears and let the newcomers enjoy what it is (or whats left) of whatever genre people seem to bitch out.

enjoy it. stop bitching. my two cents.
if we all stopped bitching we wouldn't have anything to talk about.

you stop telling everyone what to do :wink:
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

amen.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

I think discussion is healthy - particularly when it's not always preaching to the converted.

This is a production forum it's natural a few folk will be long in the tooth with certain things, there's a few seasoned vets kicking about.

So I'm afraid the newbies to mnml or minimal music will have to listen to all sorts of critisism and put up with folk pulling things to bits over here, none of it's meant to be nasty or bitchy (at least not from me - I love to see people enjoying music, irrespective of their tastes really) It's simply all about analysing things and using that analysis to form new ideas.

If it's - "yeahhh wicked awesome hearththrob FTW" then you will find that sort of chat in the other forums like the artist forum etc.

If producers werent' critical and prepared to get their hands dirty , we wouldn't have wicked music and people would be forced to listen to the same stuff all the time, we need to break away sometimes and challenge what people find popular or whatnot, it's not a put down to what's already going on - it's more a need to explore the unknown.

I wouldn't dream of raining on folks parades, or putting folks of off anything, but that's why I don't rampage all over the artists forum slating everyone I don't happen to like musically, I'd much rather give props to the people I do like than criticise what I don't over there, not always, but hey - I never said I was perfect !

So don't take our chat too seriously, I think it's fair game here to get stuck in and I like it when people get passionate about their ideas and views, I just get a bit turned off when people are offhand or genuinely rude :)
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Minimal died when it became a genre, not an approach....
Right :wink:
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

AVX23 wrote:I think discussion is healthy - particularly when it's not always preaching to the converted.

This is a production forum it's natural a few folk will be long in the tooth with certain things, there's a few seasoned vets kicking about.

So I'm afraid the newbies to mnml or minimal music will have to listen to all sorts of critisism and put up with folk pulling things to bits over here, none of it's meant to be nasty or bitchy (at least not from me - I love to see people enjoying music, irrespective of their tastes really) It's simply all about analysing things and using that analysis to form new ideas.

If it's - "yeahhh wicked awesome hearththrob FTW" then you will find that sort of chat in the other forums like the artist forum etc.

If producers werent' critical and prepared to get their hands dirty , we wouldn't have wicked music and people would be forced to listen to the same stuff all the time, we need to break away sometimes and challenge what people find popular or whatnot, it's not a put down to what's already going on - it's more a need to explore the unknown.

I wouldn't dream of raining on folks parades, or putting folks of off anything, but that's why I don't rampage all over the artists forum slating everyone I don't happen to like musically, I'd much rather give props to the people I do like than criticise what I don't over there, not always, but hey - I never said I was perfect !

So don't take our chat too seriously, I think it's fair game here to get stuck in and I like it when people get passionate about their ideas and views, I just get a bit turned off when people are offhand or genuinely rude :)
I totally agree with your comment :wink:
ledualtr
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ledualtr »

I find myself listening to techno as "minimal techno" and realizing that it sounds as any type of danceable electronic music made before, but still we have novelty and innovation, the thing is that we need innovation at a higher pace now. Electronic music is oh god so speedy, so fast, it gets boring very quickly (unless you have special feelings relating some track to your life, then it gets never boring, talking about Hawtin), so I think we may expect to find new things but truth is we are not so fast and cannot take the pace because it results into boringness. I mean, look at the classic styles, we even gave those names as "periods", how long until baroque was replaced by romantic? I push buttons and expect to see letters here to be seen by dozens in a dozen of locations, so jappanese caligraphy would be then boring? Art is not supposed to evolve so fast, we are forcing it because everything is now like that, damn internet!

You could tell more or less the same about some recent attempts to create, just take that "indie" word. It started being a production scheme, now it is a genre (and the same said about it "it sounds the same") as mentioned before, minimal was an approach, an actitude, part of a whole aesthetics (obviously not only in music), now it is a genre that many can no longer identify. But truth is that "minimal" already left a print on music, everywhere you can tell and notice the influence, from kylie's slow and regueton to contemporary classical chamber music.

I think we just have to take a break, and don't consume so much, we devoure anything, including music but imagine it otherwise; we must remember this is art and it deserves respect of some kind. Maybe it will take hundreds of years or just another EP to achieve something as a community we can be proud of. Hawtin, Ricardo (this specially for me because I admire him the most) etc already made steps into this, we have to continue adding and forming into it, any contribution we make will continue it anyway. Sorry for the long post, i know there is no time to read so much from "a somebody" haha.
H+¿?