Track sounds too quiet

- ask away
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Track sounds too quiet

Post by andei »

Hey i've having this trouble working in a new track which i'd never encountered previously. I'm not one those in favor of completely killing the dynamics in order to make the track 'stand out' or anything like that, but i'm working in this tune that sounds WAY too quiet, and i can't realize why.

here's a short sample: http://www.zshare.net/audio/14460382aa05983c

i'm mixing like i've always mixed (eq, trying to get close to 0db with out ever clipping, then some limiting on the master), i don't know if that's wrong, but i never had this trouble before.

maybe i should duplicate the percussion with other samples so that they fill the spectrum or something like that? (all the same i didn't noticed anything particularly strange with a spectrum analizer comparing it with other tracks) or what do you think i should do?

viva hate
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by viva hate »

Try to remove very low frequencies. Sometimes there's inaudible frequencies that takes up space in the spectrum and makes the whole track quiter.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

you can usually squeeze another db or two without killing the dynamics with a touch of compression....

remember to look what its doing to the levels.....
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

thanks.
i've already removed the low freq of most thing (the bass needs more tweaking,etc), and i know i could compress it more (it is it 'demo' mixdown), i was just asking if it was particulary low for you too, and what could i do in that subject
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Didnt hear the demo, but maybe the kick isnt punchy enough. try to increase the transiant of the kick with transient designer.
if its ok, than let it be quiet, let the mastering engineer ern his money:)
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

get a bit more contrast in your mix. Put some stuff in the reverb and delay so the mix looks really wide and big. 2nd thing is what the othrs say bit compression and eq. then get an engineer cause it sounds quite fine to me. Better then lots of others hangin around here
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i listened to your track and thought it sounded fine.
you cant expect all tracks to have the same power, every track is different.
squashing the life out of a track just to get equal power is crazy IMO,
i always allow my tracks to have their own identity, and to breath.
there's always been this mad obsession in EDM to get absolute maximum power at all costs and to compete with everybody else. you can either join the madness or just let the DJ turn the gain knob 5 degrees and let your track make its own statement.
a slightly quieter track never stopped me buying a good record ever !
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

steevio wrote:i listened to your track and thought it sounded fine.
you cant expect all tracks to have the same power, every track is different.
squashing the life out of a track just to get equal power is crazy IMO,
i always allow my tracks to have their own identity, and to breath.
there's always been this mad obsession in EDM to get absolute maximum power at all costs and to compete with everybody else. you can either join the madness or just let the DJ turn the gain knob 5 degrees and let your track make its own statement.
a slightly quieter track never stopped me buying a good record ever !
Thats whatI was gonna say. Every dj mixer has a gain knob and the dj knows what to do with it. Theyll average the rms by ear.