What is your proudest accomplishment with electronic music?

- open
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

I was asked to DJ in one room while Wild Planet, Octave One, DJ Rolando played next room
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I sent my first white label - vinyl - to a radio station here in detroit.. back in 2002..

almost brough tears to my eyes hearing it on fm radio...

saying REDSOUL RECORDS and playing my track..

it was proud moment.. for sure..

the "proudest" maybe..not..

but a special moment..

none-the less..

:)
Evad
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Evad »

Castronova wrote:My coolest accomplishment was throwing an amazing party with my best friend in my very small hometown, which got dozens of people hooked on EDM who had never given it a chance before.

We rented a moving truck, decorated the inside so it looked like a club, and parked it in a clearing in a really dense forest. Then we put a tarp on the ground of the clearing, and hung decorated sheets in a circle from the trees, and put lighting above the sheets in the tree branches. If you were standing on the tarp in the clearing, you wouldn't know you were in the woods unless you looked straight up and saw the branches. Then there was a long walk-up ramp going into the back of the truck, so it was almost like walking up an elevated red carpet to come inside. When the truck was full of fog and beams of light from the disco ball, all you could see inside were black silhouettes dancing to extremely loud music... but if you stood anywhere except directly behind the truck, you couldn't hear the music at all -- it was perfect for not getting caught. Most people were wearing masks or costumes or weird clothes of some sort. Everyone that was there said it was the most perfect party they had ever been to and probably would ever go to, and people begged me for another but I ended up moving before I had the chance.
The police actually came to break up the party when it was almost finished -- when he drove up in his car, I was the first person he met with in the street, and he said, "if you were smart, you'd get out of here while you still can, because there's about to be a lot more of my guys coming here." I felt I had no choice to leave my own party, so I just drove down the road and waited for a bit. What happened was he came behind the truck and basically had the reaction of "holy sht, this party is AMAZING!" and he called off all the backup police that were on the way, and let everyone go free, even though many were obviously on drugs and some people drinking were underage. My best friend and another friend were left alone with the police after everyone had left, and the police was really cool about everything, like helping them clean up, and saying things like, "man, me and my friends used to throw parties out in the woods when we were kids, but we could've never come up with anything like this. Who's idea was this? How did find this location? Who thought up the truck idea? I couldn't even hear anything until I was directly behind it." The only reason we got caught, btw, is because someone locked their keys in their car and the locksmith called the cops when he saw a ton of crazy people in costumes in the woods.

Another major accomplishment was my first DJ set in Japan. I suppose it was just a typical Saturday night, but I had a really special feeling when I was finished. I played for about four hours, and all four were incredible. In the early morning when people had become too drunk for dancing, a group of about ten people had set up chairs right in front of the DJ booth and speakers, and were just sitting there in silence listening to everything I was doing. Occasionally they were making interesting requests like and I was doing my best to fulfill them in creative and unexpected ways. Once they requested "Pocket Calculator" by Kraftwerk, and I played the Japanese language version by surprise in a very long mix, and everyone started laughing in disbelief when the lyrics came in. Almost every time I mixed into a new song I could see them shaking their heads in amazement or hearing them saying "GOD... this is awesome!" I made a name for myself in the first night I played in the country, and almost every time I'd play again or even just go to a bar or club as a customer people would recognize me or say that they'd heard of me. It's awesome to accomplish so much in four hours.
two really great stories!!!
i smiled when reading it.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I enjoy giving - so to say the most meaningful and "proudest"...

when I raised $700 - $800 in donated items (cloths & canned good) for the homeless in detroit....: DRUM - detroit rescue mission ministries

detroit is known for many events that barely break even.. I had mike grant / j. hunsburger & friends play..

dropping donated items off and having groups of people say.. god bless you / bless your heart..

& to have it come from the music community was a wonderful feeling...

it was an amazing & full filling experience..

aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

My first DJ gig took place in the ladies' room. :lol:
ec50
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ec50 »

just had our track 'Jonestown Kool Aid Mix' played in the resident advisor podcast by laurent garnier -

caused someone to question whether mass murder is the nu-cool....

http://www.stink-finger.com/is-mass-murder-the-nu-cool/

that was pretty awesome

"Half maximal effective concentration"

www.ecfifty.com
www.myspace.com/ec50
www.soundcloud.com/ec50
Yoshindo-San
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yoshindo-San »

To spin a warmup for Bloody Mary in Innsbruck-Tyrol/Austria last year.
And a warmup for the warmup DJ who made a warmup for Marusha at the Cave-Club in Salzburg/Austria. *g*
That was cool! ^.^
The best a woman can get.
Harlesden
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Harlesden »

my proudest accomplishment is having the ability to listen to minimal techno and not turn into a total fucking trendy arsehole.

i'm also quite proud of the fact that i can listen to a new minus release/richie hawtin set without my head exploding/crying

I THANK YOU