help: that rising fx sound. [total departure esque]

- ask away
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

nospin wrote:
G3rard wrote: Most of the time I do exactly what he said but now and again I book myself into a really expensive recording studio and I record myself making a "sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" noise which adds a more personal human touch to a track. :lol:
why dont you just do that at home?
of course, I was being deadly serious there :roll:
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

wesen wrote:Why do these questions don't come across well? What's the point of a forum on producing then?
After reading the original post again, I would say that my reaction was a bit harsh. Having said that, I did mean them in a genuine, positive way. It was supposed to be encouraging rather than critical (granted, I may not have written it that well to come across like that, but if you read my post again it should also make sense with that perspective).

Had the title just been "Rising FX" I think I would have responded in a more helpful manner. I guess that's being picky but to me it would come across more as wanting general production help rather than trying to replicate a specific sound.

Back on topic, apart from literally bending the pitch you could use a phaser or flanger with a ramp LFO and slow LFO rate. Another thing you could try is incorporating Shepard tones, which I have never done but I think it would work perfectly.
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

Atheory wrote:how else are people meant to learn stuff??

and its not just the OP, its also people who read the board who will benifit from learning production techniques.

everyone beaks off at people using presets and when they deviate from that its more critisicm. get over it. people have questions about production. its a production forum. i wish when i started i had a place to ask questions, would have been making better stuff much quicker.
I suppose you are right, but as I mentioned above I think it has more to do with the way the question is asked.
Fractal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Fractal »

I did the rising tone in 'UP' using Csound, and then layered the output over itself several times.

The rising tones in 'Total Departure' were created using a plugin that makes Shepard tones.
djfractal.net // tide-pool.ca
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

a person comes to a minimal site, and posts a question in the producing forum, about - you guessed it - producing minimal! quick, lets all jump on him with snarky answers.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Fractal wrote:I did the rising tone in 'UP' using Csound, and then layered the output over itself several times.

The rising tones in 'Total Departure' were created using a plugin that makes Shepard tones.
http://mda.smartelectronix.com/
chucklechops
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by chucklechops »

:roll:

If some of you would listen to the actual sample he posted you'd realise it isn't white noise.

Some kind of grain or timestretch effect maybe?
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

No ones saying it is?

Fractal has already revealed all, he the man