How do you catagorise your music files (digital)

- open
malle eppie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by malle eppie »

I can select te BPM in my list from high to low or the other way around. It's very helpfull but it also blocks creativity because when I play a track at 123BPM I only search for tracks around that speed while thats not alway better than playing a track with a higher BPM. Pitching down isn't always bad

(I use Torq)
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

malle eppie wrote:I can select te BPM in my list from high to low or the other way around. It's very helpfull but it also blocks creativity because when I play a track at 123BPM I only search for tracks around that speed while thats not alway better than playing a track with a higher BPM. Pitching down isn't always bad

(I use Torq)
thats exactly same for me, blocks creativity. wait i think i wrote that already. and agree completely some tracks sound great pitched down, its like making an old track sound totally new again with a new character and feel. i use torq also.

to the other guy, i use torq for reading bpm. it has a very accurate bpm counter.
cygn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cygn »

I practise at home and write down all good combinations of tracks in a txt file. then when I'm mixing live and don't know which track I could play next, I can look in the txt file. unfortunately I haven't done this for every track so it's a bit limiting.
then I use rapid evolution to find out keys and bpms of tracks. you can use this program to find out which tracks have the same key. maybe this is not so important for most minimal techno.
I also sort the tracks I'm probably going to play into playlists.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

I wish i was as organised as some of you lot... But up to now i haven't really come into any major peoblems by the way i currently work. Any new tracks i import into FS are simply added to the bottom of the list (eg. the most recent at the bottom). I've also started to group labels and artists together in sub folders, especially those of my most played such as Cadenza, Archipel, Villalobos etc.

Another tip i recommend is only import tracks that you'll actually play to avoid confusion. I don't include any down tempo or ambient tracks alongside my dancefloor stuff as it just confuses you and makes it more likely to miss playing a track because you're not sure of which one of the three is the one you want to play especially in times of needing to select a new track FAST.

I must say, Im yet to find a need for labeling tracks by BPM... This has never posed a problem.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Del wrote: I must say, Im yet to find a need for labeling tracks by BPM... This has never posed a problem.
I also find this quite strange.
Did people mark their vinyl/covers with BPM information also, or why is this suddenly necessary?
Bareknuckle
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bareknuckle »

patrick bateman wrote:
Del wrote: I must say, Im yet to find a need for labeling tracks by BPM... This has never posed a problem.
I also find this quite strange.
Did people mark their vinyl/covers with BPM information also, or why is this suddenly necessary?
It isn't necessary, back when I first started to learn beat matching I tended to practice with tracks I knew the approximate BPM of so I could select material in a closer range and also to select stuff in a farther range as a challenge. It proved quite useful for getting a solid hold on beat matching in the beginning since I didn't have to stray to far in the pitch range and could actually figure out what needed to be done... I found it useful mostly because I was self taught and never had any outside help to learn the DJ stuff. Of course nowadays it really doesn't matter, my only concern with BPM is if a track is way out of normal operating ranges and won't work out well. IE: 150BPM in a 175BPM mix.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

Ahh well i think i understand more why its necesaary if you're working with tracks at that bpm range. A typical set of mine wouldn't stray too far from the 124 - 132bpm range so It is no odds to me.
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

Bareknuckle wrote:IE: 150BPM in a 175BPM mix.
175bpm?
are you djing blümchen tracks by any chance? haha

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=YUE7TZfUITE