chemicals and producing music

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: dxm

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
Pretty cynical outlook I know, but I can't help believing that there's some truth in it.
its not really a cynical outlook, i'm sure theres some truth in it.
i've believed it most of my life, but if you look at how the laws were introduced in britain - new drug on the block - ban it quickly. it's almost like no intelligence was applied during the decisions.
its like the criminal justice act which banned 'music which is partly or wholey composed of a succession of repetitive beats' it was the first time an actual genre of music (our music !!) was descriminated against in the UK in recent centuries. how much intelligence was used in thinking that one up?
all it did was made people more determined to rave. the day the law came in, we did an illegal warehouse party in newcastle called Repetitive Beats, and it was one of the biggest attended parties ever in that city.
conspiracy theories intrigue me, and there has to be elements in government who think like that, but i dont think any of them really know what they're doing.
the drug laws in britain have done absolutely nothing to stamp out drug use, and the tabloid newspapers condemnation of drug use and their horror stories have only acted to intrigue and prompt the young to experiment.
we have gone off on a tangent mate.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: dxm

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote: its not really a cynical outlook, i'm sure theres some truth in it.
i've believed it most of my life, but if you look at how the laws were introduced in britain - new drug on the block - ban it quickly. it's almost like no intelligence was applied during the decisions.
its like the criminal justice act which banned 'music which is partly or wholey composed of a succession of repetitive beats' it was the first time an actual genre of music (our music !!) was descriminated against in the UK in recent centuries. how much intelligence was used in thinking that one up?
all it did was made people more determined to rave. the day the law came in, we did an illegal warehouse party in newcastle called Repetitive Beats, and it was one of the biggest attended parties ever in that city.
conspiracy theories intrigue me, and there has to be elements in government who think like that, but i dont think any of them really know what they're doing.
the drug laws in britain have done absolutely nothing to stamp out drug use, and the tabloid newspapers condemnation of drug use and their horror stories have only acted to intrigue and prompt the young to experiment.
we have gone off on a tangent mate.
For sure there are elements in government that think like that (who else is gonna use that much energy to get there? heheh), but in many ways they're acting out of love, so I have some sympathy. But they definitely don't know what they're doing regarding some of the more important things though.

it's depressing at times, but I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I think one of the promising things is the way people have adapted after the first major revolution that Leary and friends helped to create. Those guys had good intentions, but getting everybody to drop out was never gonna work, but the way I see it now, is that some of the people who have those kind of counter cultural views are starting to 'drop in', which is a million times more subversive. There are many people I know who have those kind of views who, on the surface of things are highly successful members of someone elses idea of society, which is way more dangerous to those in power than people sat on the grass refusing to go to work.

Good call on the repetetive beats night though! Had a good old chuckle about that.

Tangent maybe, but in many ways this is at the core of what we're doing. Providing an open platform for people to do their thing, to help us do ours, without saying this is how it should be or this is how it shouldn't be, and by doing so, creating some dialogue that might help things to move forward, even if it's just from 1 person going home after having a great night with some likeminded people. And chemicals are some of the tools that are available, to both us music geeks and non music geeks, and whether they are are H20 or N20.
yournotfun
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yournotfun »

i think that the people who can't produce without drugs as inspiration SUCKS!!! is really sad that you can't make music with your brain 100% clean... The music is make it for you not for the Mary Jane or another particular sustance...
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

I just wanted to make one point since everybody seems so comfortable with the idea that mdma is so "safe". I think any science studies pertaining to "mdma" that you might read and remember are kind of irrelevant since you rarely know what you're actually getting and where it came from. The trade in mdma is not a pretty thing in most countries if you go high enough up the ladder. Maybe lsd has some history with hippie chemists being involved, but I haven't really heard of many brilliant free thinkers involved in the trade in mdma. one reason for this is maybe that the process of making mdma is a few steps removed from the process for making crystal meth - and they both attract shady types. From a chemical perspective, they are very similar, apparently. I used to know a chemist who made both of them from time to time to make extra cash. Anyways, here in the us, there have been documented cases where Italian mafia bosses and the worst sort of drug gangs were heavily involved in the trade. Those people don't have your health in mind when they seek chemists. How many of you know the chemists who made your drugs? Why that doesn't bother anyone else is beyond me.
fyi - I've known a number of people who had very bad long term experiences with mdma akin to the one described by steevio and they didn't always necessarily take the sh!t every day. It's a very personal thing to mess with your chemistry./
I'm not really anti drug at all, but when dealing with seriously synthetic stuff that definitely came from a chemistry lab, I always wonder what it is I'm taking and how reputable my dealer is...where they got it, etc. which leaves me not taking much for recreation. if you want to read a seriously brilliant book about mdma and its chemical family, check out Alexander Shulgin. He synthesizes and documents the effects of hundreds of chemicals that are similar to mdma. he and his wife try all these different things and tell you how they feel in very down to earth terms. He was a chemistry professor at Berkeley. I would happily take mdma if I got it from him!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

wtf wrote:I just wanted to make one point since everybody seems so comfortable with the idea that mdma is so "safe". I think any science studies pertaining to "mdma" that you might read and remember are kind of irrelevant since you rarely know what you're actually getting and where it came from. The trade in mdma is not a pretty thing in most countries if you go high enough up the ladder. Maybe lsd has some history with hippie chemists being involved, but I haven't really heard of many brilliant free thinkers involved in the trade in mdma. one reason for this is maybe that the process of making mdma is a few steps removed from the process for making crystal meth - and they both attract shady types. From a chemical perspective, they are very similar, apparently. I used to know a chemist who made both of them from time to time to make extra cash. Anyways, here in the us, there have been documented cases where Italian mafia bosses and the worst sort of drug gangs were heavily involved in the trade. Those people don't have your health in mind when they seek chemists. How many of you know the chemists who made your drugs? Why that doesn't bother anyone else is beyond me.
fyi - I've known a number of people who had very bad long term experiences with mdma akin to the one described by steevio and they didn't always necessarily take the sht every day. It's a very personal thing to mess with your chemistry./
I'm not really anti drug at all, but when dealing with seriously synthetic stuff that definitely came from a chemistry lab, I always wonder what it is I'm taking and how reputable my dealer is...where they got it, etc. which leaves me not taking much for recreation. if you want to read a seriously brilliant book about mdma and its chemical family, check out Alexander Shulgin. He synthesizes and documents the effects of hundreds of chemicals that are similar to mdma. he and his wife try all these different things and tell you how they feel in very down to earth terms. He was a chemistry professor at Berkeley. I would happily take mdma if I got it from him!
of course you'e absolutely right bro, if you take any street drugs you've no idea what it is or where it came from. it's the draconian drug laws which have created this situation. i never said street ecstacy was releatively safe in comparison to alcohol, i just said mdma. in europe it is possible to get pure mdma.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

wtf wrote:if you want to read a seriously brilliant book about mdma and its chemical family, check out Alexander Shulgin.
pihkal!!!

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_onl ... hkal.shtml
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Yeah that book is great in so many ways. The fact that it's grounded in human elements like love, friendship, the unknown, the desire for greater knowledge both of the self and outside the self, struggle & reward makes it really easy to identify with, which makes it a really valuable display of the medicinal and therepeutic value of certain chemicals. Especially compared to, say, distorted articles in newspapers about junkies and ravers. I'd be more than happy lending it to my mum. heheh.

Shulgin is pretty important figure as far as electronic music goes as well, cos if I'm not mistaken, he brought mdma out of the scientific attic and brought it's therepuetic properties onto a wider stage.

Ooh, and Erowid is a great resource too, I could spend all day reading trip reports.
someonelikeyou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by someonelikeyou »

I sniff glue but keep getting my face stuck to the keyboard. Someonelikeyou.