mp3's killed the black beauty

- open
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

jessejames wrote:Believe it or not, kids, vinyl sales for 2007 were UP, not down!

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/01/new ... recor.html

Mind you, the majority were not djs, but rather new music collectors who are discovering vinyl.
Yes, for Pop Music that is... or?
Klayman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Klayman »

jessejames wrote:Believe it or not, kids, vinyl sales for 2007 were UP, not down!

Mind you, the majority were not djs, but rather new music collectors who are discovering vinyl.

good news! :D
sh!t happens when you party naked
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

thomasjaldemark wrote:

Doesn't matter. Try to see a bigger picture.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Reading this posts reminds me of these wise word a great man spoke:
I have a dream that one day in a DJ booth in Berlin, there will be no more room CDJ's, and the sons of former mnml-superstars and the sons of former mnml-hypsters will be able to chill together and play a ping pong set and the panoramabar.

I have a dream that one day even England, a state sweltering with the sounds of drum and bass, trance and club, will be transformed into an oasis of techno and real music.

I have a dream that my black beauties will one day live on in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their sleeve but by the content of their groove.

I have a dream today!
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

Celltek wrote:Reading this posts reminds me of these wise word a great man spoke:
I have a dream that one day in a DJ booth in Berlin, there will be no more room CDJ's, and the sons of former mnml-superstars and the sons of former mnml-hypsters will be able to chill together and play a ping pong set and the panoramabar.

I have a dream that one day even England, a state sweltering with the sounds of drum and bass, trance and club, will be transformed into an oasis of techno and real music.

I have a dream that my black beauties will one day live on in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their sleeve but by the content of their groove.

I have a dream today!
And who was that great man? :)
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: mp3's killed the black beauty

Post by stevësto »

Krul wrote:
I. LOVE. VINYL.
YEAAAA!!!! high five!
(or maybe I was too lazy to move the needle from the pot :P)
ALWAYS remove the needle from the pot. metal is bad for you.
For those who buy vinyl. Take a closer look. Sometimes, if you're lucky, the person who cuts the vinyl adds a (really nice) message for you there besides the usual technical stuff.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Krul wrote: Btw, correct me if I'm wrong 'cause I wasn't standing next to the booth, but I didn't see a laptop when you were spinning at 12yrs kozzmozz :P
Ahum :)

Krul wrote:true, but in return you get a product that was made with love and care, and those 12 euro's will probably support the industry and the people involved a lot more than the digital downloads you buy at beatport. :) (although I'm not really sure about this, how many of the price of a digital download actually goes to the artist? can anyone answer that?)
But the music (because that's what it's about, right) is made with just the same love and care! Have you ever been in a pressing plant? There are no goblins and fairies dancing around there and people singing disneytunes all day because they are so enjoying pressing vinyl in an enchanted forest!
Instead, there are a bunch of fat guys running around in greasy clothes, while toxic fumes are really knocking the air out of your lungs. Not much love in there. It's an INDUSTRY. Love and care? Then you can find just the same love and care in any factory where they are packing cookies in boxes.
Sorry Krul, you know I like you, but I think people just are too goddamn romantic when it comes to vinyl. Vinyl isn't special, it's the MUSIC that makes it special. Just as I can't be moved by listening to the humming of my laptop but I can get pretty damn sentimental when I listen to a great track playing on my laptop. The medium is irrelevant, it's the music where the true art is.

As for the revenues for the artist, we've been through this before and it's not necessarily true or false, it all depends. Again, not saying that vinyl should disappear, I mean, as long as there are people who want it and labels can live of it, why not? But to me personally, there's not one single reason that would make it better. Unfortunately, a lot of people act like you're inferior just because you don't play vinyl, and I think that's absolutely bogus. Just as playing with CD's is inferior, why? You still have to have skills and you still have to know the music.

Go and watch James Zabiela and tell me that you can't perform a dj set with passion and visually attractive when you use CD's and no vinyl. I think you'd be amazed :)
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

plaster wrote:
thomasjaldemark wrote:

Doesn't matter. Try to see a bigger picture.
The big picture is that a bunch of dance music shops and distributors closed shop in the past year, and a fleety crop of trendy kids picked up some horridly pressed 7 inches to impress their college friends with. The same link features a comment that the number the percentage was based on was 10x smaller than 18 years ago and 100x smaller than 20!
freeeeeee